1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In dire need of a new monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Aug 22, 2012.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So my LG Flatron took a shit on me completely and i definitely need a new monitor. I was thinking of an IPS monitor at least 23 inches and a 2ms response time. Looking to spend less than $350 and preferably on newegg since I have shoprunner.

Is IPS really even worth it? Should I just bypass it and get a regular LCD LED monitor?

Suggestions please! :toast:

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!
  2. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    If you are into the whole color thing, then yes.
    Regular TN panels have 6-bit internal coding per color channel and then interpolate into 8-bit ones iirc.
    IPS has native 8-bit color channels, so it has a bigger color gamut, which in real application gives you smoother color gradients for example.

I found this on the internet: http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/
    jgunning and CrAsHnBuRnXp say thanks.
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    If you are looking for a TN at any point I will highly reccomend the Asus VE276Q, i picked mine up today and it is AMAZING
    CrAsHnBuRnXp says thanks.
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    That was a good read thanks for that. maybe it would be best if i stuck to a old tn monitor.
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    If choosing an IPS monitor, make sure it's not using the cheaper e-IPS technology, which the advertising is likely to hide. Instead of true 8-bit colour, this is actually 6-bit interpolated up to 8-bit. The whole point of going IPS is for the superior colour fidelity and wide viewing angles, so I would avoid this.

The Dell U2412M is sold as an IPS monitor, but is actually an e-IPS. There's a reason it's so keenly priced and this is it. Make sure you know what you're buying and are happy with the trade-off.
  6. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    A Samsung S23A950D is a good choice. It's 120hz, 2ms, and 3d as well. The panel itself is the thinnest I have seen.
  7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I like my Acers. No dead pixels on either of them. :D

(I have 2 Acer S231HL 23" screens.)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    There's more too it than that. The Dell still has better color than any TN panel - even though both use 6 bit + FRC. It also has wider viewing angles and less banding. Short answer is any e-IPS is better than any TN as far as color and viewing angles go. The 6bit + FRC does not negate the benefits of IPS.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I only partly agree with you. While it does give a much better picture as you described, it's not as good as true IPS and it's even further behind S-IPS. The fact that IPS and e-IPS may not be mentioned in marketing materials is bad and misleads customers who may want true IPS, not a cheaper version with inferior picture quality. This is my main point.

How do I know this? Because I subscribe to the Aria email newsletter and it advertised this Dell monitor today for £220 billing it as 'IPS'. Only because I'm a savvy techie did I think to check out this monitor from other sources since the price seemed a little too good (TFT Central review in particular) where I saw that it uses e-IPS. Seeing this, I'm not even considering buying it now. I'll only consider true IPS and will pay the higher price if and when I'm ready to buy one.
  10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I've heard that response times are measured differently on ips than tn. Any truth to this?
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, although I'm not sure of the details. Response time between two dark shades is longer, I believe than other transitions. I think that TN Panel website linked to above explains it.
  12. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So would it be accurate to say that say a TN monitor at 2ms response time would be about the same as an IPS monitor at 5ms?

Been busy for the past few days and I still need a monitor. I have some time right now to research this a bit more and im still trying to find an IPS monitor if I can.
  13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So all this research for an ips panel is becoming mind numbing and its making me wonder if its really even worth getting atm. It seems anything good is going to be out of my price range.
  14. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    ASUS PA248Q and Dell U2412M are both under $350. I love the Dell that I got earlier this month - hugely better than my old HP glossy panel TN. If you need 1:1 pixel mapping go with the ASUS at about $340. If you don't, go with the Dell for around $300. Both are excellent and well reviewed.
  15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at both but the dell doesnt have HDMI and the Asus one doesnt seem to have good reviews as of late which makes me skeptical.
  16. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Why do you need HDMI? Dell doesn't have speakers so what's the point?
  17. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    You don't need HDMI, DVI will suffice ;)
  18. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The 680 has HDMI?
  19. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    So does my GTX 670 but I don't use it since the monitor has no speakers. HDMI delivers both video and audio if you need it. DVI delivers the same digital video signal as HDMI so I'm not missing anything there and my audio is handled by connections directly with the PC (for headphones). 99% of monitor speakers are crap anyway so you're really not missing out on anything by not using them (or HDMI).
  20. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Response times are measured in grey to grey or black-white-black, usually they wont say which it is. Bellow a 5ms response time is when humans are generally unable to notice a difference but above that you can tell, especially if its above 8ms. Most (if not all) modern IPS do not have the problems older models do, its like plasma displays which also no longer has the massive drawbacks it used to.

I paid £150 for my Iiyama X2377HDS and it's not high end IPS but imo it beats LCDs in that price range. I dont get ghosting or blurring on my particular panel but it does depend on each individual panel. If going from a high end LCD to a low/mid range IPS, the gains may be not as pronounced but if its only a budget/mid range LCD i at least did notice it the difference. I got a big difference going from my Samsung LCD panel to my Iiyama (in my specs), even seems more fluid in motion. Most of all it just looks a lot less dull, not that my old panel or my LG tv are washed out but its just a lot more easy on the eyes. My brother was over a few weeks ago and commented the whites looked great and bright, which was pretty random but good to hear. Blacks could be better compared to something higher end or plasma but they beat any TN panel ive seen, even LED LCDs.

My advice is to look up IPS panels in your price range on Newegg or something and google them, its a pain in the arse i know.
    CrAsHnBuRnXp says thanks.
  22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
  23. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Tried the first two on your list and kept the Dell. It had a much more uniform backlight (as in no noticeable bleeding). The PA248Q had a better stand, better menu options and good color, but terrible backlight bleeding on all four corners. I'm very pleased with the U2412M.
  24. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    If you're photo editing or movie producing then Yes a True IPS would be recommended because of the Color Gammut. If just gaming or surfing the net or watching Youtube an e-IPS or TN monitor would work just fine for your needs.
  25. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received: