1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

in great confusion !

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by prescient, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    my love those 2 mb extra l2 cash can make a difference, i had a powerful single core Pentium all it had is 2 mb l2 cash . plus hyper threading can handle windows
    op while a game is running

2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

Yes I recommend the 770, very good experience so far for me. The PNY I have runs by default at 1254mhz core / 1800mhz vram, when in boost mode, the highest of the 770s I have seen for sale.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    prescient says thanks.
  3. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    good you recomened the 770 gtx 2 gb and extra thanks for the the bench marks but what about the 770 gtx 2gb vs the R9 780x integrated 3 gb ?

i know you said the 770gtx is better for now but how about the 3 gb ram of the ati for near future games ? they will all recommended 3 gb ram soon

4. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    if you can wait few month, nvidia will announce new gtx 8xx line maxwell gpu, would be great buy.

prescient says thanks.
  5. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    no i waited too long already plus they will start with high end cards few month's is a lot plus they always delay

6. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
  7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Theres really no right answer for R9 280X 3GB vs GTX 770 2GB. As far as gaming goes, they pretty much perform equivalent, with one of them outperforming the other in an equal number of games.
    Just don't bother getting the GTX 770 4GB, its a waste.

Long term it probably doesn't matter, they will both be obsolete before that vram quantity is a big problem. The extra 2GB of VRAM for the GTX 770 4GB only helps with very high resolutions, which is something that the 770 really shouldn't be running anyway, you should be running a 780ti or R9 290x for those.

If that extra 1GB of ram is very important to you then go with the R9 280X. It also has 384 bit memory bus vs the 256 bit bus of the GTX 770.

As I said they are very similar so theres no wrong answer.

Those MSI R9 280X do have a reputation of having the fans leak oil though so I'd go with a different brand R9 280X if you do go with that over the GTX 770, maybe Asus or Sapphire.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    prescient and Arjai say thanks.
  8. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    i keep saying to my self if the 2 cards preforms the same

why buy a 2 gb gtx card when you can buy a 3gb ati card (i mean the msi R9280x) ? for the same price ?
    when games are starting to ask for 3 gb?

is it because my 1920 x 1080 will not use the 3 gb soon anyway ?

as for the msi R9 280x its the only brand they have at the moment
    so what do you say about the 770 gtx brands ? asus or gigabyte ? that asus looks great with those pipes
    and the gigabyte is oced they go for the same price . u scared me off the msi i dont need oil leaks
    besides i miss nividia in a way .
    as it has been said i guess my 1920 x 1080 screen wont need that much ram and i usually change
    the vga every 2 years anyway . i usually invest in the infra structure cpu mb ram ex ...

what about the ram and cooler ? what do you think ?

9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    With the 770 vs R9 280X somethings are faster other things are slower, its not as simple as ram quantity. They are completely different architectures. The only way to compare them is how well they perform on the same games, and the result is they perform very similarly.

EVGA is always a safe bet. I got a PNY which is pretty nice but runs hot so I have to run a custom fan profile, but it also runs with a 1254 core overclock from the start which is more than most cards so that might be why its hotter. I have heard good things about the Asus model. I was not impressed with the Gigabyte 7970 I had before.

prescient says thanks.
  10. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    yes that 770 gtx asus looks really good i never liked the gigabyte 3 fans . 3 fans are a lot the pipes are better plus the ausu mb will have better communication with it .
    but the gigabyte is a bit oced than it but i guess not by much . ill get this one

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC2GD5/

what about the rams ? should i get the higher ? 2133

11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Only if its the same price as 1600. 2133 might only net 2-3 fps at the most. If you get a good deal on 2133 ram, then its not bad.

prescient says thanks.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    skt 1155 is dead, might aswell go with 1150 or 2011, AM3+ or FM2+

prescient says thanks.
  13. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    what about pc speed ? the ram wont make my pc and loading time? faster ? in that case they say the 1600 1.5 is better

you mean the first post ? read post #31

14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    prescient says thanks.
  15. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    good idea , but now days they keep re branding releasing and talking , every year they release new generation like the R9
    it can be true but anyway the high end new cpus will hit 500$ easily and will be out of my budget. the haswell i7 looks in good
    price atm like that article said . plus i dont want to be beta tester for new intel chips the 1150 socket had lots of stability problems at start .
    i wasnt recommended to even use it .
    if the new generation will be for the same price then it might be a good idea but i guess the 4790k will go like 600$

they say slightly , anyway . and a good after market cooler is good .
    i oced my e8500 to 4ghz on stock cooler

16. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    @prescient: why are you still saying skt 1150 had problems? Many of us have already told you that you were given bad information about staying away from it.

prescient says thanks.
  17. arskatb

arskatb

Thanks Received:
    Haswell processors has only 1 problem, if ur unlucky u might fall foul badly installed heat distributor, actually Ivy has same problems.
    Both have bad thermal compound

prescient says thanks.
  18. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    i didnt say 1150 has problems i said when it was released , most new mb/cpu new gen comes up with such unsuitability at start
    now the z87 got stable . they always go commercial about new generation being better , just to sell it i mean they wont go that far
    read the i7 4770k page she will say the same good things about it . in fact this topic is worth a poll thread am starting .

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/upgrade-or-wait.199281/

19. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I'd still keep an eye out for z97 release dates and wait a little while for one of those boards (if it's only a matter of weeks) even if u still go with 1st gen Haswell. I 'think' Z97 may be supporting DDR4 among other things.

prescient says thanks.
  20. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    i got tired reaching a desision about the z87 from the z77 all that waiting and maneuvering is too much of work for me
    i made the deal with the shop they will buy my old components i guess ill push through with it
    it cant be that long of a jump as they said slightly , its only marketing strategy
    and yes the 2133 ram are same price am going for it .

21. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    You'll see a huge boost and be happy, I'm sure. I'm on a decent enough chip atm. If I still had my old e8400, I don't think i'd be able to hold off.

prescient says thanks.
  22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Get the Z87, Z77 motherboards are hard to find and it will only get worse

prescient says thanks.
  23. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, really, if you're on a K-branded Sandy Bridge, there's not much reason to upgrade yet. I only went to IVB on secondary bc the skt 775 died, and will probably only update to the latest haswell (or beyond) on my HTPC when that m/b dies. Leaves my main rig still on SB, and perfectly content!

prescient says thanks.
  24. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
  25. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    +1

funny how they differentiated between two with a 1 watt margin. that is probably less than the accuracy of their tests lol.

as for OP, since you are doing a full upgrade anyway... there is no reason to NOT go for the most recent technology. Always best to stay updated.

prescient says thanks.