1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In need of assistance.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Evo85, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    First, let me say hello. Been reading TPU forums for a very long time. But my level of technical expertise in nowhere near 90% of the posters here so I have always stayed out. :D but now I am in need of help and the people here are the best. ;)

Short story. My master HD has developed many bad sectors. It still works but has slowed down quite a bit. I have a slave drive I can put in place of it. Where I hit a snag is Windows. I dont want to have to buy another copy to put on the HD. What I am hoping is that there is a program out there that can exactly copy my Master drive to my slave. Anyone know of such a program?

Thanks in advance!! :)

2. sorehammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    maxtor have a drive to drive copy with their maxblast software and it's free it will copy the whole master drive and reassign the slave as master.

Evo85 says thanks.
  3. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    I have used this with good results--->http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-cloning.html
    Also for us to really help,..PLEASE post your system specs.

4. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    what do you mean "buy another copy"? If you have an original copy of windows, why don't you just install windows to your new drive?

5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to TPU Forums!

You'll need a drive-imaging software such as PowerQuest DI. It can clone your drive. Alternatively, you can locate the files that are located in bad-sectors, (such as system files), extract a fresh copy of the file from your Windows installation disc, place in in the slave drive and modify your system32 path to the slave drive. You can modify this from the global variables in system properties. This way you save hassles.

6. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone for the help! :)

My slave drive is a Maxtor so I have the afore mentioned disk. I never realized what all it had on it. :eek:

And sorry for not posting my Specs. Obviously my home comp is down and posting this at work . I will have my specs in my profile set up soon. (though it may get me laughed at. :eek:)

8. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    +1

9. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Because when I did that it told me the key had already been registered, and I would have to get another key within 30 days..

10. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Maxtor... well no surprises there.... every machine ive built with maxtor drives dies within a year or two due to bad sectors and slow performance...

Anyways, I understand why you cant re-install windows as you probably bought the machine as is without re-install discs.

Id use disk imaging software and move it over to another drive (samsung, western digital etc...) ;)

11. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Call microSOFT support and explain the problem... You might get lucky!