1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Inactivity takes another gamer - Blizzard releases statement

Discussion in 'Games' started by Black Panther, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    An 18 year old man from Taiwan has died after playing Diablo III for 40 hours without taking a single break, not even for food.

The man, known only by his surname of Chuang, booked himself a private room in an Internet cafe at lunchtime on Friday and spent nearly two days in there without stopping to eat or sleep. He was left alone the entire time until an employee came in to check on him Sunday morning and found him resting with his head on the table. Chuang woke up, took a few steps, and then collapsed, he was taken to hospital, but died shortly after arriving.

Blizzard released the following statement:

“We’re saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. We don’t feel it would be appropriate for us to comment further without knowing all of the circumstances involved.”

“While we recognize that it’s ultimately up to each individual or their parent or guardian to determine playing habits, we feel that moderation is clearly important, and that a person’s day-to-day life should take precedence over any form of entertainment.”

The cause of death is still to be determined, but authorities suspect that a fatal blood clot was to blame as a result of Chuang sitting for such a long period of time.

Source
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    natural selection .. not fit enough to farm
  3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Useless news that breed tastless jokes
  4. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Poor dude must of had a pretty dull/crappy life to want to sit and stay in a game world for 40 hours straight...
  5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Never had any sympathy for people who die because they figure using the bathroom and eating should take second priority to gaming.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally that isn't the case though, they obviously suffer from a deeper issue somewhere.

People don't just allow themselves to die, regardless of what you consciously want to do your body and brain will do everything they can to keep you alive. ( for example releasing a shit ton of chemicals that make you scared so you move away from the situation at hand)

And well, something didn't quite work eh?
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    This is true, i don't think it's as simple as saying to yourself "i want to play Diablo III and stop eating", but i think this is preventable if the person tackles the issue at hand. I don't know why he decided to sit there are play for 40 hours straight but i'm sure he understood why it's a problem, especially when your body tells you that it needs food or sleep. But he made a choice to ignore that and lose his life over something that has no significance in the end.

It's tough to say mentally why he or many of the others who have died because they played a game for days on end, but i do not respect the dead and have no sympathy for those die in this manner.
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Man that game was so boring i was already falling asleep after 4 hours. This guy went for 40 straight freaking hours.
  9. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Bet he didn't find any good loot in that 40hrs as well but i commend him for his determination.
  10. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Take into consideration he was probably in a room with out windows, so he had no real way of telling time other than the clock in the top corner. And if you don't pay attention to that, you'll lose track of time pretty fast. No offense to the gamer or his family, but the other guilty party in this really is the internet cafe for having a room you can rent for who knows how long and didn't check on their customer (being in the service industry, that's what gets me the most).
  11. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this like having a heart attack, and dying while having sex? Of course if you are having sex for 40 hours you better bring snacks, and plenty of water and probably enhancement drugs too.. hehehe I feel bad for the guy.. He should have used a bigger Health Globe or picked up more Health Orbs.. :rolleyes:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aye two days is crazy.

Most internet cafes I've been in ( admittedly only 3) check people every 2-4 hours just to see if they need anything ( for example a drink !) after all not only does it generate more sales it gives the appearance of giving a shit about your customers.
  13. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    In all fairness to the internet cafe, he probably requested not to be disturbed. Also, it was probably not the first time he has done this there.

The man was clearly a fan of repetition, I doubt he just randomly popped in.
  14. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Kids here would rather play video games then go outside and play. The internet cafes are always packed. Dept store cafeterias are always filled with kids playing games while their parents go shopping.

A lot of the blame can go to the system. Parents usually work 10+ hour days here and the kids are raised by their grandparents who spoil them.

And btw, I don't care what the law says, an eighteen year old is not a man.
  15. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    QFT :pimp:

BLASPHEMY. I had hair on my, uh.... Stuff....
    HossHuge says thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Another life lost to gaming. The government needs to step in and limit game time and the amount of games people can own. This has gotten out of hand. We need more game control.
  17. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Agree an 18 year old is a child in every sense of the word but the law is the law..
    What I really don't like about this is that people act as if this is somehow proof that D3 is that good.
    Firs off gauging a game based on if people die playing it, is just all kinds of Macabre in a disturbing and disgusting way, get a shrink if you think like that..
    Also this is just proof that some people don't know how to take care of themselves, nothing more..

I can soooo see this happening in some court of law...

Next thing you know they'll make couches illegal with the slogan:
    "Lazyness doesn't kill people, couches kill people"
  18. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Trolling at it finest :respect:

You supporting mo4r government intervention/control :laugh:
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Just pointing out how stupid that argument is.
  20. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Is this what you mean?

[​IMG]
    D007 and m1dg3t say thanks.
  21. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
  22. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    QUICK! Give that man a biscuit; before he collapses! :roll:
  23. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Lol u know your big when you make a bandana look like a Kippot...
    (Kippot = Jewish skull cap)
  24. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    What I want to know is how much time the PR department at Blizzard has on its hands, to be going around and releasing statements about stuff like this...
  25. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, because the public relations department should be spending their... beta testing or something ;)

Actually, probably not a bad idea. Could get sequels out sooner...

Anyhoo. It doesn't take much effort on their part with a Google Alert of "blizzard, game, death". Then you just send off your generic statement, done.