1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Incomplete Windows Repair.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Polaris573, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to set windows remote desktop and apparently go into something I shouldn't, because all of my network connections stopped working despite my best efforts to repair them. So instead of coming here and asking for help, like I should have, I decided to just run a repair installation. Well, now the "repair installation" stops half-way through and will not go any further. Like a fool I did not back up my data before the repair installation. So, in order to fix my computer now it looks like I'll have to format it for the second time this month. However, since I didn't back up my data, I would have spend an afternoon juggling partitions in order to load windows to back up my data without erasing it. Does anyone have any better ideas? Perhaps I could use a linux live CD?
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If I were you, I'd try to get a new Windows disk (and not the TPU staff one ;)), as that one sounds like it got corrupted.
  3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try what Zek says and get hold of another XP CD to try if you can, that way you might get a chance to backup your data. If not, you might be able to create a small partition at the end of a drive to temporarily install Windows onto whilst you backup your data and then install it properly.

Guessing you don't have a spare hard drive lying about or another PC that you could plug the drives into to move data across? More hassle than anything else I guess, but once Windows goes wrong that's quite often how it works :(

Edit: system restore might be able to help you if you can get that far (and you had it turned on)