• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

incorrect readings

leemerlord

System Name MoonGlow
Processor Intel i5-760 H50 cooler
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling 3 intake 2 exhaust rear and top,
Memory Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4gb kit
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX560
Storage 500GB main 1TB back up
Display(s) 23" full HD LG flat screen
Case antec 1200
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 1050
Software Windows 7 pro 64x
lately i have noticed in cpz that the multiplier and core speed are not the same as what my bios post. i have setting to defaults and heres a pic of what they currently read from cpuz, could i have possibly fried the chip?

Attachments

• cpu odd multi.png
    cpu odd multi.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have an i5 760 cpu, it is probably showing at post, it is running at 2.8 GHz; and, not the Max Turbo Boost speed of 3.33 GHz.

Your specs listed are incorrect... you show the CPU you have as a i6 760. I believe that should be a n i5 760.

CPUz seems to be showing your CPU is running at Maximum Turbo Frequency, which is at a bus/core ratio of 25 and a bus speed freq. of 133.4 for a MTF of 3.33 GHz.
This is normal for that chip to act this way at default settings. It should, however, fluctuate those core readings as you watch them, if not... then something is odd.

If, they are staying on the max turbo frequency then it could be a misbehaving/conflicting app, process, service, driver, etc. or virus/trojan. And, maybe, settings or hardware.
Or, even, a problem with CPUz.

You may want to test with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

The normal (non max turbo) frequency for that chip is 2.8Ghz, which is 21 * 133.4 .

Intel® Core™ i5-760 Processor

Quote from Intel's Turbo boost web page:
When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize performance and energy efficiency. Note: Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its rated upper power limit (TDP) for short durations to maximize performance.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology frequently asked questions
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Monitor

leemerlord

System Name MoonGlow
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Case antec 1200
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 1050
good info thanks, much appreciated. everything seems normal and it passed the intel test. only weird thing i see is if i OC just a little, the info post will saw 2.5ghz when ill manually have it set to say 3.4 with known good voltage and setting configurations, how ever in cpuz it will show the correct values i have set in the bios. am i just tweakin out and that is normal or has something started to malfunction. again thank you for the good information

leemerlord

System Name MoonGlow
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Case antec 1200
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 1050
doing better, have a set up which is A LOT more stable on way less voltages. only thing that seems odd to me but i guess is normal, which is when turbo boost is on it fluctuates like crazy. but problem solved thanks for the great help and info once again on this awesome fourm.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Turbo Boost was designed to be very dynamic by Intel. As more cores become active, the multiplier decreases and as cores go to sleep in C3/C6, the multiplier increases. This is happening constantly, hundreds of times a second. RealTemp will report a very accurate average of this activity.

Some motherboards let you disable Turbo Boost and will let you lock your CPU at a fixed multiplier instead. Some users, especially when overclocking the base clock (BCLK) speed, prefer a lower but fixed multiplier.