1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Increase 80mm Fan RPM

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by <<Onafets>>, Jan 20, 2009.

1. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    HEy all:cool:
    I wan wondering how to OC the rpm on the fans in my PC.
    They are little IDE extention fans which means there is ide in and then ide out with the fan cable comin out the middle. Can you. Lol i'm just full of questions aren't i! :laugh:
    ||||
    ======
    ======
    Thx all...Happy NEw YeAr! :wtf:

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Are you talking 4-Pin Molex power connectors? As I've yet to see a IDE Cable powered fan lol! I think that's what you mean tho, the 4 pin molex connectors are the primary power connection on IDE devices.

You can't really "OC" fans...max in your rig will be 12V unless you purchase a seperate fan controller capable of greater than 12v and that your fan is capable of handelling the higher voltage...especially if you plan on extended use. There are fans out there that are rated for 24+v, but noise, vibration and power consumption all rise with higher airflow.

How many fans do you have in your case? Are they all 80mm?

:toast:

<<Onafets>> says thanks.
  3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Yup, you need to up the voltage. but you can't really do that with a computer psu unless you want to do some re-wiring.

<<Onafets>> says thanks.
  4. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Aside form all that the noise would be absolutely unberable. I can't even get myself to buy or build with 80mm fans anymore, it just dosent make sense.

<<Onafets>> says thanks.
  5. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest TT smart fans , they regulate rpm with included knob or temperature sensor, and are capable to do high rpm.

There is only one problem , they cost .. :laugh:

I have two 92mm 4800 rpm .

The first works on the CPU cooler with the temperature sensor , at low rpm most of the times, the point is that its unstoppable for four years.

The second stays as spare .. :D

<<Onafets>> says thanks.
  6. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    Lets say I have a 120mm low RPM fan, but I want more RPM from it... Is there a way to mod the PCB/components or is the RPM determented by unchancheable (or say, "too hard to come up with high" rpm alternative) components?

7. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    The RPM is set by the fan motor itself and how much Voltage is applied. Theoretically one could do a mod to supply/overvolt the fan and have it run at a higher RPM.

I've seen a step down from 12V->7V->5V but not a step up. My guess is a as good as Google's.

8. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    alittle googleing and i have found that the only was is to use a separate PSU for just the fans that can put out more then 12v (eg meanwell PSUs)

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Best just to buy higher amp fans. They draw more power but move more air (and make more sound).

Crunching for Team TPU