1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

increase in bandwidth = drop in performance?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by mk_ln, Apr 16, 2006.

1. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, i currently have my card running pretty well - w/ stock fan btw, but i realized that i could continue pushing the memory further w/o getting any artifacts; i could easily get it up to 1150, but it seems as if the performance begins to drop if i increase it past 1110. is there some kind of bandwidth throttling or something? thanks in advance to any1 who can help :)

2. M. Mellough New Member

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK throttling is triggered by heat regardless of bandwidth settings but I wouldn't
    be very surprised to hear that BFG has found a way to prevent overly optimistic users from setting bandwidth values that are considerably above stock and that even if temps remain within the safety zone. Considering BFG's hassle-free RMA policy it's not unreasonable to hypothesize that they would go the extra mile and take certain measures to prevent abuse.

But I'm not an engineer and I have no idea if bandwith overclocking can by itself cause damages not related to overheating so this is pure speculation. Maybe your vram is simply subjected to flash heat peeks, and that would trigger throttling.

3. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I've flashed a lot of VC BIOSes both with ATI and Nvidia cards, and ive used a lot of BFG BIOSes with Nvidia cards, and I can say without a shout of a doubt that BFG do NOT have any kind of BIOS limiters, in fact, ive found the BFG BIOS to be the best for OCing and the most stable.

What causes graphics cards to lose performance when driver issues are ruled out are indeed heat related problems, most of which can be easily cured with a 3rd party cooler such as the VF900cu and some Arctic Silver Ceramique, with both thoughs combined load temps can drop by as much as 20+c in load conditions.

4. altie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pardon, but I'm not up with the terminology. What's RMA and BFG?

5. bikr692002

bikr692002 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BFG= just a brand
    RMA= return merchandise authorization

6. altie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you.