1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Input Lag while playing games

Discussion in 'ATITool Bug Reports' started by SeeK, Mar 22, 2006.

1. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all, hello. This is my first post here. Ehem.

I'm using the Beta 14. The thing is, if I open ATI Tool and then try to play a game, I randomly get "input lags". For a couple of seconds, the mouse and keyboard stops responding. They will keep using the last command. For example, if I was playing HL2 and running straight forward when this happens, good 'ol Gordon will keep running staright forward.

It happens more frequently if I raise the priority of the game. It's a shame this had to happen, 'cause now there's no program to control my GPU fan with. Thus, I cannot overclock. Hell, I can abrely play agmes at the nominal clock without getting artifacts.

I believe the X1900-series are not supported in the current version of ATI Tool, but this seems like an odd compatibility issue. Is there a way to fix this?
  2. luddet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem with my old X800XL and I have it with my new X1900XT. The only way I found around it is to shutdown ATITool when playing certain games :(
  3. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, that sucks. ... At least I'm not alone. What motherboard do you have?
  4. luddet New Member

Thanks Received:
    AN8 Ultra
  5. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay... well, maybe that's not the problem.

I'm about to run Oblivion for the first time right now, but I want a decent clock speed. So I have to use ATI Tool now. Hopefully this problem won't occur in Oblivion.
  6. sliM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone

This is my first post and first i would like to thank wizzard for that great tool but i have this problem too. Everytime i play a game and AtiTool is running in the Background i have these Input lags. I use a key and nothing happens, it feels like anything hangs or something

My system:
    Sapphire X1900XT
    Dfi Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D

Please fix this because my x1900 runs so damn hot that i need AtiTool to undervolt that thing (1,2 Volts for 625Mhz Core)

Sry for my english
  7. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    First, you English is fine. :)

Second, it seems this only happens on X1900-cards. But I thought they were supported?
  8. sliM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think so. I have this Problem for so long and i spend so much time in searching that issue!

Before i get the x1900xt i have the nvidia 7800gtx and i just used AtiTool for temperature monitoring but there were the same lags while playing a game.

So i think it has something to do with that temperature monitoring and i hope wizzard fix this because i dont want to destroy that card in fact of overheating.
  9. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. The X1K are quite hot. I played Quake 4 at normal clocks and I got artifacts after a few minutes.
  10. sliM New Member

Thanks Received:
    sry to hear that.

Mine doesnt make any arifacts but the temperature of the core reaches 100°C
    which seems "normal" for that card but the voltage regulators have 85-95°C and that for me seems a bit to much!

I would rma that card because it doesnt run with stock speeds.
  11. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm... 100 degrees is not good for the core. If you keep it like that for long it might be damaged.

EDIT: I have found a temporary solution for this problem. If you raise the priority of ATI Tool, these input lags will not occur.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  12. prophylactic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, I had a similar problem recently where my mouse and keyboard would lock up momentarily while playing games. My problem actually proved to be driver-related, and was solved by a Windows reinstall and the Microsoft USB 2.0 update. I've not had a problem since. However, in your situation, it sounds as if heat's a pretty big issue. My X1900XTX doesn't get beyond about 70C, overclocked. You should verify that your card's heatsink is well-placed, and that there is an adequate amount of arctic silver between the die and the sink. As well, you could try locking the fan speed to 100 percent when you play games, that would likely keep temps down a little more.

As I said, a fresh Windows installation with the accordant patches applied did wonders for me. However, this may not be the case for you. Hope I've been of some assistance.
  13. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I guess I could lock it to 100%... but the fan sounds like a jetfighter.
  14. prophylactic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know. 100c, though? That's card-killing temperature. Have you changed the cooler, or done anything to it at all? If you locked the fan on a lower setting, this could also be the case. If it runs this hot, and you've not done anything to the card, or changed anything through atitool, you may want to RMA this card.
  15. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I play games I use ATI Tool to lock it to 70-85%. Otherwise I keep it at 30%. And no, the cooler is just the way it was when I got the computer. I was thinking about getting a new fan, but... meh. I'm a lazy sucker. Maybe I'll get a Ninja for my CPU and put the CPU's stock cooler on the graphics card.
  16. prophylactic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Weird. Okay, I have a few things on my mind. First, disable, "over ride fan speed" or whatever it is in ATiTool. Let the card handle the cooling, unless you want to lock it at 100 percent. You could also verify that the sink is seated well, and is actually touching the gpu die adequately. I suppose it's theoretically possible that one of the ram pads could be twisted, or something, preventing the sink from sitting well. Just a thought, I suppose. Another thought is airflow in your case -- do you have any fans in your case? If not, you may want to look into either removing the side panel, or installing some case fans.

If all the aforementioned ideas fail, I'd RMA the card. Hell, if you're not even overclocking, there's not a lot of reason to even run ATiTool -- unless you're locking the fan at 100 percent.

You're sure the temperatures you're reporting are for your gpu core, not the mosfets? The mosfets get hot as hell, and that's okay. If your gpu is actually hitting 100c, that's bad pie.
  17. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right now I'm too lazy to open the case. Maybe tomorrow. And I've got two case fans. One at the front sucking air in and in the back, pumping it out. I'm thinking about RMAing it...
  18. prophylactic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'd probably RMA it. Seems there is a problem somewhere.
  19. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a similar problem. My games sometimes lock up. But it isnt due to my 7800GT. I found out it was due to wireless lag since on my first rig I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. Just a thought.
  20. SeeK

SeeK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be. But it worked fine on my old computer. Shit, new technology is so damn fragile.
  21. mwpeck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok.....first thing....I LOVE YOU SEEK!

I have been having this problem ever since I got my new card and it has dont nothing but piss me off.......i shut down ATI Tool(used it constantly although i just fixed my fan to 100% so i really dont need it running). Anyway, shutting it down COMPLETELY stopped my problems. And i can assure you the X1900-cards are not the only ones having this issue with ATI Tool. As i have an X1600 PRO and it did the same thing.

Cant believe it was something so simple.........Anyway, thanks for posting about your findings of it only doing it with ATI Tool running. I was getting ready to RMA my card yet again because of this problem.

EDIT: Yes I know this is an old(er) thread, just wanted to post to thank Seek for mentioning his findings, as I've searched for a few weeks with no findings as to this problem....I even had a similar topic of my own on this forum and I tried everything sugguested, even reinstalling, I guess i'm still just a little shocked as to finally fixing my problem.
  22. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i have a x1800xt and this happens to me also. i have a dfi ultra-d mobo and 3200+ cpu. my buddy on a x1800xt, asus a8n-e, 3200+ system also has the issue. i think its somthing to do with the fan controlling...
  23. Stinger_PY New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem with different VGA cards.
    The problem is the temperature monitoring of ATITool... disable it and problem is gone.
    Use SysTool for temp monitoring of your VGA cards.
    I use ATITool for clock and fan control, but SysTool for temp monitoring of VGA and CPU.
  24. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get input lag while playing source-based games, but it doesnt seem to occur in any other games. I will try disabling fan control and then turning off ATITool completely and see if I find a difference.
  25. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bump: As said above, disabling fan override seems to have stopped the input lag.