1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

INSANE X1800xt OVERCLOCK !! 900/900 and still has headroom

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by UberNoob, Sep 17, 2008.

1. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried everything to overclock this thing and copulnt get over 50 mhz out of it till i stumbled on the r520 overclocker or "R5WinClk" and even then it wouldnt clock up very well, i then set voltage to 1.5 ramped fanspeed to 100% manualy and went to bed.

Today after some burn in this thing does 900 core and 920 memory im freaking amazed.
    i havent run benchmarks and i dont beleive in them but crysis shure is running a whole hell of alot better. Its like a whole new game without all the lag i had before.

here is my validation... http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/7zyve/

Its totaly game stable, this is hard to believe for me, and i did it. gpuz and R5WinClk cant be wrong can they? Im thinking gpuz has to be right? am i wrong?

Somone tell me WTF !! is this for real?
  2. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    Man, thats crazy OC ! :eek:
    Never seen anything like that on X1800XT.
  3. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Very nice...:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    enjoy
  5. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    omg! 2ghz core, you know you can do it!
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Something odd in VGA land!
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    bet its not setting the core any higher than 800
  9. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy crap!

What volts is she on now?
  10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I second that, I vmodded mine and still hit a wall at 810. that was on water, what kind of cooling are you using?
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    run a game bench or a 3dmark bench in between core speed increases to see if there's truly any difference in clock speed performance. Solaris17 got bit doing something similar to an 8600GT(s ?) that GPU-z reported, but the card in fact was limited on core speed to something lower iirc. This looks too similar to that.

You can fool programs but you can't fool performance. Not doggin ya, but I find it hard to believe at the same time. Please prove me wrong, that'd be kick ass!

:toast:
  12. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i thought both gpuz and the x1800 overclocker were trusted.

i thought the x1800 overclocker and gpu-z were both reveired programs on this site since i got them here and i seen alot of talk about there in threads here. I guess i was wrong to trust theese programs. If the software is so shity why is it on this site?
  13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    No need to get defensive man. :p

GPU-z is a great program, and the x1800 is a decent program, but no program is perfect and can catch everything. That is the only other incident that I have seen that was similar to this...don't necessarily believe what anything tells you. No software can detect everything perfectly when it depends on clockgens and calibrations that may be incorrect from the MFG's and chip makers. There is no exact science, just programs that are more suggested due to a better accuracy and verifacation rate than others, like GPU-z. W1z has put many hours into it and has done a great job imo.

But, if you look around on this site, when someone overclocks a component, many run a benchmark in comparison to stock or a previous OC to see the performance increase and if it's minimal, then that proves either the OC in inneffective, not worth the extra voltage consumption, not worth the extra heat output or incorrectly read (which is usually an oddball thing to an extent).

Take for instance my GTX260, when I OC it with EVGA's Precision that came with the card, I can set the clocks to 725/1500 and 1200, well the true readings are 712/1481 and 1196, if I set it to 745/1560 and 1300 then it reads 756/1563 1282 (or close to it). You have a lot to learn about how these things work, you can only take so much of what you see in detection programs to heart before you need to find out if that overclock actually makes a difference or not. If it's not making a difference, then you're tricking the driver that reads the clockgen or the reporting part of the driver so detection programs don't necessarily read correct speeds. That's part of reality with overclocking anything, some things like graphics cards are a little less honest with true clock speeds, but we get a pretty good idea of where they're at.

If you want an honest overclock, don't just trust a reading program, prove it's actually performing better...no proof, what's the point of the OC? See what I mean? If you have a healthy increase, then more power to ya!

Xazax says thanks.
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It isn't that it is shitty, it is that it isn't 100% accurate, and no program of it's type will every be 100% accurate.

They are just reading parts of the cards, clock generators, PLU's ect. If those parts aren't right, then the software can't be right.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    He is right, stock performance numbers and OC'ed performance numbers are needed.. to be consistend with everything.

1)Run 3dmark05 stock settings
    2)OC the card to the limits before you add Voltage.. and run again
    3)take the clocks you have now and run 3dmark05

There should be a very clear improvement...
  16. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    All my other overclocks have always been legit with gpu-z

In my first post i even asked others if this could be real, and all other over clocks i ever had
    have always checked out but i was on an nvidia card and drivers. I have no idea with the ati side of things. I didnt know ati's stuff was bogus and lied.

at 1600 x 1200 with settings on medium i get 52 fps average on the crysis SP demo gpu benchmark. is that on par with my results?
  17. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh damn, that sounds like work..

why dont i just run a benchmark on crysys, i own it now and i can run benchies on it with stock and overclocked speeds. one thing that sucked since i bought it is that it wont let me set resolution to 1600x 1200 were the demo did.

any tips?
  18. captainskyhawk

Thanks Received:
    jeebus, your name says it all, man. :shadedshu

nothing is "lying" -- all cards are not made equally, and some don't have high quality components. it doesn't mean that ati's cards "lie."
  19. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and also. im on an nf4 system with an opteron 144 at 2.8 gigs and 2 gigs of infineon ch6? at 2-2-2-2-0 215 mhz i have only been using x1800 overclocker because its the only one that doesnt crash my system. ati tool crashes it, so does systool.

Any idea how to stop that? i would love to be able to use ati tool because u can see the clocks rise and u can see the atifacts and the heat. This is like overclocking blind.
  20. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    The x1800XT is a fairly old card man, I don't see many running one anymore. Not saying it's bad, but it is dated...I'm suprised more users didn't post that used to have that card tho. NV and ATI both do similar clocking, it's not that ATI is bogus, more-so than I don't think they necessarily wanting us knowing exact specs for some reason, or they're cheaping out on calibrations and sensors to give a more general reading. Similar to the e8xxx series of intel processors with bugged temp sensors (well a lot of them). There is still some luck and guess work in overclocking.

How did Crysis SP Demo Bench at 1600x1200/Medium do at stock settings? I couldn't honestly tell ya what your performance would be at that OC with that card, that would seem pretty decent tho imo. Like I already stated, the best performance comparison when overclocking is that of stock first, and if you're taking your OC to new heights, then also in comparison to see if the new OC is worth it.

While we're at it, what is running in the rest of your rig? You can fill out system specs (UserCP at the top of the page, then left-hand menu, then fill out, at the top will be a menu to select whether or not to show) if you'd like to.

I'd say screenshot your 52FPS average, then go back to stock settings and run again, screenshot that, you can upload your images over at http://www.techpowerup.org/ . And show off your results!

EDIT: How does ATI Tool and other programs "crash" your system? Random restart? BSOD's? Fatal Errors?
  21. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude this is a 500 dollar card if it doesnt have the good shit then all ati cards are shit. when it came out it was the top of the line flat out best card or at least it was supposed to be.

yes this is the model with the 6 pwm modules on top. not the 5,

Im tempted to start moddding bioses and flashing after a little more groundwork i will mod this to at LEAST XTPE+ clocks.
  22. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    It was $500 3 years ago. Now its a low-range card. ATI STILL currently holds the fastest card on the market with the 4870X2 so they aren't shit. When it came out it was top of the line, but still wasn't the fastest.
  24. UberNoob New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh and as far as the card being dated, yes i know..i ran this and then a 7900gt volt modded and over clocked. But back when i bought it, it was my baby and i wouldnt have dared to mess with it. i paid way to mutch. right now im messin with it cause im bout to buy a 9800gt with the 128 shaders and then my 7900 will be my backup and the x1800xt will be a toy to me.

my brother is a fabricator and i am thinking about talking to him about making me a MONSTER COOLER for it so i can CRANK the volts to it and see what it will do.
  25. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    To me that would seem to be a mix between unstable oc's, overheating, aged components, and driver failures. Do you ever see a small pop-up window at the bottom right saying that ATIkdm.dll something-or-another has restarted?

When the screen goes blank, does the moniotor go to stand-by or stay powered? With the blue lines..that's odd...I'd say hardware issue there...maybe not enough voltage, maybe too much heat...too much oc?

Still waiting for a stock vs. current OC comparison! :rockout:

You also must be talking about the Asus 9800GT that has 128 shaders, it's a modded 8800GTS with a new bios and cooler sticker from what I've read, but at $150, it's a damn good card if it's the one I'm thinking it is!