1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Inspiron 1720 warranty

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pinchy, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I purchased an Inspiron 1720 at the beginning of the year for someone. It came in from the USA with a 3 year full warranty.

Now after months of talking with the seller, I have come to the conclusion that I need to do something myself. He has told me he filled out all the forms and sent them...that was 3 months ago. Since then, he hasnt responded to any of my emails.

He told me not to attempt to contact dell myself or they will expire the warranty.

Now I havent done anything other than put the service tag in to check the warranty status. When doing this, I notice the warranty has "0" days left...expired. It shows the ship date of Jan this year though, and all Dell laptops have at least a year of warranty.

What can/should I do? The laptops hard drive died a month ago and need it replaced (and the laptop is needed in the next couple of weeks when Uni starts)...so it is kinda urgent.

I have all original receipts as well as a customs form (where I had to pay a $300 fee to get it out). So Dell can verify I have purchased it...

Also it couldnt have expired due to me putting the service tag in their site as I purchased a second laptop at the same time from the same guy (for a friend) and have tried putting their service tag in the site. It comes up with the full 1 year warranty it was purchased with (since Jan) but is located in "Americas" not Australia. (SO obv it hasnt been transferred either)

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Get in contact with someone online or by phone, and if you have the original invoice or something, you should be able to get the warranty stuff sorted.

Pinchy says thanks.
  3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried getting onto live support with dell...and upon entering my service tag in they are like "You cant use live support! Your warranty has expired!" .. lol.

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Do you have the original order or invoice from when it was purchased?

5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup I have an ebay invoice as well as an invoice off him (he has his own shop / website) and the original customs forms.

6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Then you should have something that mentions the warranty length, and get it fixed.