• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installation blog for Asus Maximus V Extreme

You should be using the top PCIE slot for the GPU. I know logically one could see the second slot as x16 and think it's better, but it's not. The second slot is coming from the PLX switch which actually only has an x8 link to the CPU on this particular motherboard. The first slot has a native x8 link to the CPU when other slots are populated. Using the second slot would just add latency, though rather negligibly so.

The way I would would do it is have the GPU in the first slot, and the other two cards (looks like audio and Wifi) in the black slots. That would completely avoid the PLX PEX8747 switch. Your GPU would still only be x8 but it could cut down on latency to the GPU and the card in the black x8 slot.

Last edited:
Watching MotoGP live, will check later! Thx!

Day later: well, everything is just working fine (stability, audio, video, games), so I will leave it this way for a while. I have no more spare time to investigate if one option gives more or less fps. This pc is my workhorse.

Last edited:
Well, just had to update this, as you guys helped so much (here and all over TPU).

1) I put my GPU back in slot 1 (8x), seems there is more benefit from being it "native" (read: direct link to CPU), then using the 16x PLX chip that loinks at 8x to the CPU.

2) Dust in the H-Frame is really no issue after 8 months. (case fans only run under high temps).

3) ISSUE (3770K related): this summer we had a heatwave of weeks of 40ºC (nights 30ºC), and ocassionally the pc locked up while gaming. So I turned the 4800 overclock down to 4600.
But now I want to return to 4800 (CPU benchmarks results increase is quite significant!), but whatever I try I cannot go back to my previous, fantastic 0.9v idle, 1.30v turbo voltages for 4800Mhz...
Maybe it is the BIOS updates from Asus making it impossible to use the old settings, maybe the processor itself has downgraded?
At them moment I am stable a 1.1v idle and 1.4v turbo under load, but it gets a bit hot. Core 2 and 3 go over 90ºC....
This is achieved using an offset of -0,050, if I leave it on Auto it uses 1,45v and temps get close to 100ºC.
I copied some bios settings of others that run 46-48-5000 Mhz, but they all give me crashes... weird world! : )

Now running all voltages on manual, running 4800 Mhz stress test fine at 1,29v/1,31v !!!!
But on manual, it does not "down-volt" to 1v during idle...
STaying at 1,3v at 1600Mhz is a bit non ideal

Holy cow and rolling pizza!

I am unable of loading some bios stting for 4800 that keep cool!
I loaded my "summer 4600" profile and its 0,2v lower and running fine with offset of -0,050.
Changed multi to x47: bsod
Changed off set for x47 to 0,075 and it runs sweeeeeet, much more "frisky" and at 1.2v@4700 and all the temps in the 70ºC range....!!!!!
Will try to get into 48x again with sweet 24/7 values

Edit: no gaming joy with these settings....

Last edited:
Or my 3770K degraded or the newer BIOS changed some algorithms. I had to increase voltage, did not like. BUT NOW I FOUND GOOD SETTINGS.
I had to dig deep in the BIOS but I finally found my way out for 4800 Mhz, idling well and gaming not to hot.
settings for 3770k @ 4800 stable

CPU Level up: disables
AI OC tuner: XMP
BCLK/PEG: 100
Turbo ratio Manual
Ratio Sync: enable
1(etc)-Core ratio limit: 48

Internal overvolt: disable
PLL voltage: auto (you can try to reduce from 1,8 to 1,7/1,6)
ETC ... auto

DIGI+ Power Control menu:
Load line: extreme
CPU voltage freq: auto
VRM spread spec.: enable
CPU Power Phase: optimized
PoWer Duty control: extreme
Current capability: 140%
etc: default or auto

Tab 3: Advanced: CPU Power management
Ratio: auto
Enhacend Intel Speedstep: enable
Tubro mode: enable

(here comes what I think is a result of a BIOS change in v.19)
CPU C1E: enabled (to have CPU throtling ON: 1600Mhz idle)
If set to AUTO, it does not work! (in my case, wit previous BIOSes never had to touch this menu before!)

C3: auto
C6 auto
Package C state support: auto

These settings are fine for me. Stress test, goes up to 1,34v and 87ºC. Ambient temp 23ºC. Passes all Aida64 tests with highest or very high scores. And BF3 and Insurgency2 ROCK (both lock up easily under OCing)

Last edited: