1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installed new motherboard and RAM, issues with power-up

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Cybie1111, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just installed my new motherboard/RAM today and everything seems to be installed correctly. But when I press the power button, the computer starts up but there is nothing to be seen on the monitor. My mobo has no integrated VGA and I dont know if its a graphics card problem or a motherboard problem. Is it possible that getting a PCI Video card can be a possible remedy or I have to RMA?

Any other suggestions will be greatly needed.

Mobo is a gigabyte 965 board ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012 )
    and the RAM is G.SKILL DDR 2 800 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065 )

2. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just found out that the RAM was the problem. 1 of the sticks was preventing me from starting up the computer. But what I found interesting is that the single ram only works in 1 DIMM slot. I know for sure I have to RMA the memory first. When I get new ones and it wont work in the DIMMS, should I RMA the motherboard?

Edit: I have a new problem. When Windows loads I BSOD and it restarts. I cant start windows at all :s

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  3. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    ok,

from the begining, i assume you tested both memory modules individualy, it boots with one of them, but not with the other,

first of all, disconnect everything, leave only video card, motherboard, processor (with HSF) memory, if it loads, ok, connect a single CD/DVD drive, and boot up a disk called Ultimate Boot CD, it will have many utilities to test motherboard, cpu and memory, just google for it, its a 170mb iso,

from what your saying, it seems like a motherboard or PSU problem, could also be processor,

4. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything checks out. There does not seem to be any problems but it still BSOD when Windows loads. Maybe because I had an OEM version of Windows (Gateway) or the Hard Drive is just hating me or what do I know. :banghead:

5. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    have you checked memory latency ?

not all ram is created equal, try setting to 3-4-4-8

6. mikeownage

mikeownage New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you using a gateway recovery disk it wont work you need a real install disk, i also had a gateway but switched over to another motherboard and my recovery disk no longer works :(

7. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The latency for the memory I had was 4-4-4-12 and it worked for the 1 of the 2. Ill try loosening the timings to see if it can detect the other stick or I will RMA the sticks.

It seems like you were in the same dilemma as I am right now. I will try to get a new Windows XP on Wednesday with the RAM i might have to RMA to newegg and get some at Fry's (Which I can literally walk to. :D )

8. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering, would your Gateway Recovery Partition still work? or do you have to get a whole new XP installed on your harddrive from the get go?

9. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    wait a sec, your using a gateway recovery disk,
    it dosnt install windows, it just copies a premade partition from a image file ?

no wonder you get blue screen of death, you cant do that, the chipset drivers are wrong, the hardware configuration is wrong, windows hangs

10. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought new RAM and attempted to test it out. I get the same result with the G.SKILL. I got a OCZ DDR 2 800 Platinum RAM (4-5-4-15) and I get the same results. Im going to RMA the motherboard and RAM's for a refund and wait later for motherboard and RAM... Shit happens. :shadedshu