1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installed Vista 64, need helpful tips and advice

Discussion in 'General Software' started by RadeonX2, Feb 13, 2009.

1. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Finally! Vista 64 is here... I just finished installing Vista 64 couple of hours ago including the drivers and programs that I often use. I noticed my HDD is always reading is this normal? also do I really need to disable aero? and UAC? is UAC necessary? I really like the looks of Vista + its much faster in loading apps compared to XP

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    RadeonX2 says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I leave Aero on, it doesn't really hurt anything as long as you have a decently powerful machine, and you certainly do.

As for UAC, I leave it enabled, however I also enable the true administrator account and use that only, so it never bugs me with the exception of one program that requires it be off to install(Tversity).

For a Windows n00b, I would say UAC is necessary. For anyone that has used XP, and never gotten into any security trouble, I would say it isn't necessary.

RadeonX2 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    fast replies!

oh there's this problem when installing Nvidia 181.22 driver it doesn't finish the installation? then I hit the task manager and it says its running I click the end task the installer quits properly after that restart the PC and the driver + physx were installed? :confused: I did the installation of Nvidia driver twice it still freezes but it says under task manager it's running

5. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just turn UAC off. It's pretty pointless if you know your way around Windows. I keep Aero off because I like the look of it with it off but it's up to you. You have a pretty beastly rig so it's fine with it on or off.

RadeonX2 says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try installing your chipset drivers first, then re-download the vid. drivers and try again.

RadeonX2 says thanks.
  7. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's what I did the first software I install is either the service pack or the chipset driver next thing would be the Nvidia driver and sound driver. I guess UAC should be turned off before installing any drivers?

I just noticed hibernation is enabled on default and it takes up 4gb of space.The partition on my Drive is 30gb on C: which is the Windows I was shock the free space left was only 9gb also I did move my page file to another drive I set it to 2048MB will it be better interms of performance? Drive C: page file is set 200MB. Now my C: space is up by 14.1gb :toast:

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I hear the PhysX part can hang up the installer sometimes in Vista, especially on a clean install. Try extracting the driver exe into a folder, and removing the PhysX system software exe from it, then run the setup from the folder and install just the graphics drivers. Then install the PhysX software after the reboot.

I had my page file on a completely seperate hard drive from my Vista install, it didn't seem to help performance at all, so I just moved it back to the C drive.

RadeonX2 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. fishnchips

fishnchips

Thanks Received:
    sorry to bring up an old post but was browsing, why install PhysX? what good does it do?

10. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's good for the few games that use it. And by few I mean Mirror's Edge, Unreal T3, Warmonger and.. I think that's it.