1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing internet browser onto a secondary drive.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by SlackerITGuy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. SlackerITGuy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to install an internet browser, whether it's Chrome, Firefox, Opera, whatever, to a different/secondary drive completely? (notice the emphasis made on completely lol), or has the browser need to be linked at least at some level to the drive where the OS is installed on?

I ask this because I want to limit/reduce the amount of writes made to my SSD, so I want my browser to have nothing to do with my SSD since I would gain nothing by having it installed there.

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Once the browser is installed it writes nothing to the drive, except when it is updated of course, it only reads. The cache is what you want on a different drive, as the browser will write constantly to the cache.

If you really want the entire browser on a secondary drive look at portable versions of the browsers, I know firefox and chrome both have portable versions that you just put somewhere and run.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

jgunning says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah portable browser could solve that
    put portable browser in your HDD place the shortcut in desktop and done

4. SlackerITGuy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies fellas, I think I found a solution to this, IE has an option to move all temp internet files to another location/drive, it's quite easy actually, so I'll stick with IE10 for now.

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    There are other thing you can do to reduce writes that are more effective. Reduce your page file to 1Gb, shut off system restore, turn of hibernation

6. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I'm in the minority but I like having all my programs on my ssd, to really enjoy the full bliss of super fast speeds. I want my programs to be like Chinese food, ready before I even know what I'm ordering ;) (Jim Gaffigan reference). I hate having programs or applications or games on an hdd now

I wouldn't think the writes would be a big deal either, as you have a great ssd, and the whole worrying about writes seems to be a thing of the past.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. You want your browser to pop up. Its doesnt occupy that much space