• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing SSD right now, could use some advice.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
:laugh:Ok.. I recreated the folder structure steamapps/common and put left for dead2 and batman 2's full game folders inside them.. that should accomplish the same thing as cutting and pasting my entire 200gb folder of steam apps..lol..

It's like this now C/steamapps/common... In that are the cut and pasted left for dead2 and batman 2 folders, from the main "F" install directory.. cut and pasted..

Now I just have to link them I think.. I won't sleep until this is done..
:laugh::roll::banghead::rockout::respect::twitch::confused::wtf::shadedshu:roll:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I have been given some very good information so far about these things I think.
I'm not messing with any of the things that are supposed to increase longevity or anything.
I am enabling AHCI mode in bios.. But enable it in UEFI? Idk that one.. XD

I'll also disable scheduled defrag from inside windows I guess, from inside defrag I assume.

I see a bunch of places I can enable AHCI in bios though.. I enabled it only on the sata 3 port my ssd is attached to.
is that right?

What I did though so far is a standard install of the OS to the SSD.
My 1 TB still has the OS on it as well.. I wonder if I can access both, if both are plugged in..
Likely have to boot individually from both storage units I guess.

Glad my g/f believes in laptops..lol.. That's what I'm on right now..
Thanks yas. :D

I enabled the option for sata mode in bios on the x58 gigabyte mobo, the top option.. I got this message.. bios not up to date?
I didn't get this message when I just had AHCI enabled on the sata port my SSD is attached to..
Should I be changing ICH SATA control mode to AHCI from IDE? If I do, I get that error message..

he still has a windows install on the 1TB? I dont think it wold matter because the SSD now controls what gets written to the 1TB. but incase he copied his appdata folder steam may have old paths saved. which why i reccomended installing steam over his current install to give the registry something to look at.

Why Yes he does.

Some Programs make me wonder if they put files elsewhere, like the registry and other uncommon user accessed folders

System Name HAL
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Why Yes he does.

Some Programs make me wonder if they put files elsewhere, like the registry and other uncommon user accessed folders

Yes I do have it installed on both.. I wanted to keep them both structured for redundancy purposes, in case the SSD pooped out on me.. I have autocad work that needs to be done and can't afford down time. I can boot to either HD atm. I default boot to the ssd though.. They have totally independent structures.. Should I not of done that?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 13900ks
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Yes I do have it installed on both.. I wanted to keep them both structured for redundancy purposes, in case the SSD pooped out on me.. I have autocad work that needs to be done and can't afford down time. I can boot to either HD atm. I default boot to the ssd though.. They have totally independent structures.. Should I not of done that?

no you shouldnt but it would have been worse to image the drive on that install. just know that the games arent going to be pleased when you try and boot them if you boot off of F.'

anyway. yes now that they are copied to C if the trees look the same (as in they werent in the common folder but next to it) then you link to them now from the F drive.

So go to F steam/steamapps and creat a link pointing to the 2 games (obviously one at a time)

but its time for me to go to bed.

System Name HAL
(done)

no you shouldnt but it would have been worse to image the drive on that install. just know that the games arent going to be pleased when you try and boot them if you boot off of F.'

anyway. yes now that they are copied to C if the trees look the same (as in they werent in the common folder but next to it) then you link to them now from the F drive.

So go to F steam/steamapps and creat a link pointing to the 2 games (obviously one at a time)

but its time for me to go to bed.

Thank you for your time Sol.. Very much.. goodnight.. ^^
didn't see what u said about remoting in or I'd of agreed..lol.. Idk why it doesn't make sense to me..
I need things to make sense ..lol.. I mean how does it run from the F but reside in the C? lol.. If I could just manage to visualize this path better in my head, it would click..
Lesson earned is a lesson learned.. I'm learning this lesson..

EDIT: Think I just wrapped my head around it..lol
The way I have it, I think I'd want to make a shortcut to the left for dead 2 folder, inside the common folder, from inside the "F" drive, which is the HD.

I would then have the left for dead 2 folder, cut from the original directory, placed in the C/steamapps/common directory, which is the SSD.
That would be where the shortcut in the "F" drive common directory points to..
That shortcut would be named left for dead 2..
So looking in the original directory, I would see a shortcut to left for dead 2, in place of where the original left for dead 2 folder was.

That makes sense to me.. Unfortunately it's not working.. idk.. I'm letting steam reinstall the game and seeing what happens.
I think maybe each game has to be reinstalled because the registry keys need to be made on the SSD to run it or something.. idk.. Steam didn't see them..

ARERRGGG!!! I reinstalled it and remade the shortcut... It's still not working.. It says steam is launching l4d then it says the game is not available.. Screw this, im going to install steam to the SSD ..
My structure looks like the pic below.. The left window is my SSD "C" the right is my HD "F".
This should work from how I'm understanding it.. Apparently I don't understand it at all..:banghead:
I'm pointing the shortcut to the l4d2 folder on the SSD, not the steam, or common folder..
Not trying to do the link method, trying to do what you posted on page 1.
Seems much simpler.

Attachments

• link.jpg
    link.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 376
Last edited: