1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing Windows on AMD RAID Array --> Unsigned Drivers WTF?!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by newtekie1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm officially frustrated. It is 3:30PM on Thanksgiving Eve, and I can't leave work until I have this machine running...:mad:

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II 960T(Stock)
    8GB Corsair DDR3-1600(2x4GB @ 1333MHz)
    ASUS M5A99X Evo(990X+SB950)
    2x WD Blue 500GB Hard Drives(RAID1 Array)
    eVGA 9600GSO
    Corsair CX430w PSU

The Problem:

Simple, I can't install Windows 7 on the RAID Array. It asks me for the driver, I point to the folder on the USB Stick containing the latest driver downloaded from ASUS's site(tried AMD's driver too), it thinks about it for a few seconds, then pops up with a Window complaining that I can't use Unsigned drivers with Windows 7 64-bit and asks for me to load a signed driver.

Is this seriously an issue of AMD being so bad at driver development that they don't even get their RAID drivers signed, preventing people from installing Windows on RAID arrays? I know this can't be the case, I know someone has to have installed Windows on an AMD RAID array before!
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried looking for and older version of the driver or contacting ASUS' support? Or if you have the original DVD for the motherboard? Seems odd that Windows will install just fine on a RAID Array on an Intel board just fine and not AMD.
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    This sounds promising:
    Code:
    Copy your unsigned driver to USB stick or other media (you will probably need only one .inf and a .sys file) 
     Start Windows 7 setup. 
     At this point, Do Not Select 'Install' as your RAID controller will not be detected if it's not supported by Win7 
     Click 'Repair'. 
     Wait for the pseudo-scanner to finish. 
     Click load driver. 
     Point to your unsigned driver (the .inf file) you previously copied to USB stick or other media. 
     Wait again for the pseudo-scanner to finish. 
     Click the 'x' in the corner to close the repair mode. 
     Click 'Install' to start the installation. 
     Now your RAID controller and RAID Drives will be detected and there will be no warning of unsigned drivers.

I hope this gets you home. I'm still at work also, but this is due to some Kaspersky problems the latest windows update screwed up.
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  4. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I tried the driver off the CD and I get the same message about it being Unsigned.

And I think Intel RAID works because they have used the same basic RAID controller design for years, AMD has updated theirs recently so there aren't build in drivers for SB950.

I tried that, it tells the driver folder doesn't contain information about my hardware. But when I point to the same files during the normal setup it does detect that the folder contains drivers for the RAID controller.:banghead:
  5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    newtekie1 says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I got it working, I reburnt the Windows 7 DVD and it worked for some reason.:confused:

I guess there must have been a scratch on the old disc or something that was preventing something from loading and causing the issue...IDK...I'm just happy it is working!
  8. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    nice! go home!
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  9. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I had the exact time same issue. Make sure you have the right driver. After hours of messing around It took the driver that it was rejecting. Not sure if this is an AMD driver issue, but I don't plan on installing Win7 on Raid 0 again.
    newtekie1 says thanks.
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I will as soon as I get it to the point that I can remote into it and finish installing all the software over the holiday so I can be ready for install at the clients Monday morning.:D
  11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I keep clean archives of all Operating systems I use.

I had an issues on the last two where the USB 3.0 drivers wouldn't load as I was using a USB 3.0 port and once the3 handoff was attempted it just stopped.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  12. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    If you MUST install an unsigned driver, that OK, you can do it. Let me tell you how:

DSEO - Digital Signature Enforcement Overrider - v.13b

WARNING! Don't use this unless you know what you're doing. Otherwise you could make your computer vulnerable.
    But if you know what you're doing, then this tool is invaluable! :)