1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing XP with a flash drive.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DonInKansas, Nov 26, 2008.

1. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    While trying to fix a computer with a corrupted CD-ROM driver that wouldn't rollback and I couldn't find a driver for, the drive wouldn't work for me at all. It needed a fresh install anyways. So I came up with the idea to install from a flash drive. After much research, I found an easy solution that actually worked! Link below:

http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/

I thought this may be helpful to some (plus I wanted a place to stash the link in case I needed it again.:) )

Enjoy!

2. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    nice nice, always nice to have a copy handy like that

3. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Yes indeed. The only problem is I used a brutally slow flash drive so the install took nearly 2 hours.:eek:

4. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    2 hours ouch. Thanks for the guide though

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have added my thanks as well. i prefer to install from a flash drive than disks.

I find it handy to have my 4GB drive have a copy of Vlited vista, it really makes it easy to install... no need to burn a disk, or to install the SP0 copy and then add the service pack later.

now that i can do it with XP, i can almost do away with silly optical drives.