• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Instructions to change board?

XnOObX

Hi folks.

Im going to be changing my motherboard from a K8V SE Dekux to a Asrock Dual SATA-II.

I was wondering if there is an article on this site or another that can give me instructions on how to do this. By that i mean the drivers etc, and if i need to uninstal anything before hand.

If there isnt such an article then could someone please give me a few pointers on the process. Ill also be changing the CPUand PSU but everything else is remaining the same.

thankyou in advance.

EDIT: also, how do i know if the RAM i own can run in duel channel? i have corsair 3200 twinx XMS ram, 2x1gig sticks.

Last edited:

G.T

Processor 3.20E GHz P4 Prescott
Motherboard Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Cooling Zalman (CNPS7000B-CU) Super Flower Cooler + Ultracool II fan controller
Memory 2 Gig Mushkin HP 3200
Video Card(s) Leadtek A6600GT TDH
Storage 2 x WD 10k 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 (OS), 2 x WD 80GB SATA RAID 0, 1 X Maxtor 250GB ATA (Media, music)
Display(s) Samsung 19" TFT SyncMaster 913N
Case Antec Plusview Iii (Modded front) 1000AMG SOHO File Server - 5X Antec UV reactive fans - 2xUV tubes
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Fatal1ty FPS running through Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 speakers
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580w Blue with UV cables
Software XP pro (Legit) & shitloads that isn't >:] /serial Brycer and FraxFlamer :)
Reading the instruction manual that comes wwith the MOBO is a good start...

System Name Current rig
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Xtreme
Cooling Corsair h150i Pro
Memory 32GB Ripjaws V 3200
Video Card(s) Asus 2090 ti Strix
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1tb
Display(s) Alienware aw3418dw
Case Thermaltake View 91
Power Supply seasonic 1kw
G.T said:
Reading the instruction manual that comes wwith the MOBO is a good start...
xD

G.T

Storage 2 x WD 10k 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 (OS), 2 x WD 80GB SATA RAID 0, 1 X Maxtor 250GB ATA (Media, music)
Case Antec Plusview Iii (Modded front) 1000AMG SOHO File Server - 5X Antec UV reactive fans - 2xUV tubes
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Fatal1ty FPS running through Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 speakers
Software XP pro (Legit) & shitloads that isn't >:] /serial Brycer and FraxFlamer :)
Yeah, they are. They have all the instructions in them WITH PICTURES!

How about you read the bloody instruction book and then if there is anything you really don't get ask us a direct question about that and we will try and help.

XnOObX

what the hell is ur problem? u dont even know me yet u try to have a go? grow up.

G.T

I don't have a problem with you, just how lazy you are being.

I gave you some solid Gold advice in my first post which was very helpful, it does help if you read the manual first, then ask questions afterwards instead of expecting us to wet nurse you from A to B without you doing any homework or reading up on what you are about to attempt.

XnOObX

first of all i dont have the board yet, do i cant read a manual.
2nd, i was asking for advice, not a point by point instruction manual. I wanted to know how to change a board, not how to instal one for the firts time.

and finally, my problem isnt with your suggestion but the needlessly rude and very arrogant way u speak to me, when i know u wouldnt do so face to face. thats why i said grow up.

I was tought that if i didnt have anything good to say, dont say anything at all. clearly u missed that lesson in your upbringing.

G.T

Taken from the other thread where you are obviously not content with the advice I gave to someone else either. As you chose to post in it whining about a subject unrelated to the one being discussed but where you felt moaning about your demands was more important.

Key:
Parts in
Code:
<-- Here --->
are hints for you to understand what I am saying to you.

G.T said:
Nahhh, we usually mug you first, then flame you. ;)
Code:
This is gentle sarcastic humour

Seriously though, I advise going to the website of the manufacturer of your board, download all the latest drivers, BIOS updates, other applications or programs that go with your board and get the manual. All of which will be available and of most use I am sure.

Code:
This is Gold advice when even thinking about purchasing a Motherboard
If you have not already done this I advise you do now while you still have a working computer to Download it with

I wouldn't buy such a key part of a system without doing plenty of homework on it, reading reviews, viewing the web site that make the part/it's product page. Seeing what support and downloads are on offer & I change MOBO's all the itme and know how to swap them in and out of systems.

You are talking about changing nearly all the main parts inside your PC and want pointers on what drivers and things to unistall? & you have not done the above, you need to do it ASAP.

So my initial comment you took as so bloody rude and not to your liking still stands and is still on the money even after all the pissing and moaning you have done with such a snotty attitude about taking the most simple of advice given in nothing more than a swift and informative manner. You then have the arrogance and cheek to try and turn this whole incident into something it's not, even to the point of crashing an unrelated thread to moan and bitch some more.

If this is the manner you take good idvice over something so simple as arming yourself with the required tools from the genuine site where all support for the subject at hand lies I can't wait to see what you are like when things get a bit more complex cos you would seem to be underestimating what you are attempting to do.

If you had given much more information about what you wanted to do at the outset my reply probably wouldn't have been as short. Saying I can't read the manual when they are always available with the simplest of things such as Search Engines is asking for trouble or at least a short answer that is too the point.

As for your whole "You wouldn't talk to me like that in real lie" ramble, look if you were some total stranger walking up to me in the street and asked me what you asked here, I'd have given 'you' "the total stranger I don't know", the quickest means to answer their question in exactly the same manner as I did here.
I don't know you from Adam yet I am helping you based on the scant information and facts you presented me with when asking the query, thus I am doing you a favour. I wouldn't stand there all day yapping to you. You took offence to a short informative answer, that is your issue. If you wanted to have a barney about it and got shirty I'd tell you to fuck off and leave you too it, I ain't got time for people who can't help themselves with the basics before wasting other peoples time. Don't like what I have to say, I don't care either way, just don't start stalking me around the boards crying and cribbing over how badly you feel done by. Call the "We give a fuck Hotline" and talk to them or just maybe, you could possibly, I dunno go to the website of the MOBO you are buying and get the manual and check what you are attempting with what you are going to attempt it on.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
XnOObX said:
Hi folks.
I was wondering if there is an article on this site or another that can give me instructions on how to do this. By that i mean the drivers etc, and if i need to uninstal anything before hand.
also, how do i know if the RAM i own can run in duel channel? i have corsair 3200 twinx XMS ram, 2x1gig sticks.
Boot off of the windows CD, repair your XP partition (hopefully you won't have to reinstall windows), install drivers, and you're good to go. You'll see dual channel mode in the BIOS splash screen results from POST. It'll be pretty obvious :p. Here's a list of general tweaks for the 939Dual-SATA2.
Step one- Set time, date
Step two- In CPU settings, disable cool n quiet, set memory clock to DDR400, play with memory timings (CAS-TRAS-TRP-TRCD), which are listed in the bios in the order CAS, TRCD, TRAS, and TRP. EDIT- new BIOS's mess around with this order, can't be too sure on it, but yeah at least you know what the RAM timings stand for :D.
Leave MA timing at 2T unless you think your system can handle 1T
Step three- in Chipset settings, enable onboard LAN, disable onboard Audio, disable AGP fast write, set primary graphics adapter, and set CPU-NB and NB-SB link speed to 1000mhz.
Step four- in IDE, disable controllers you aren't using. On all drives detected, enable SMART if you can and set PIO/DMA as high as they will go.
Step five- Enable legacy USB support
Step six- Set password if you're worried about anyone screwing around with your BIOS settings
Step seven- Configure your boot sequence. I reccomend hard drive first, optical drive second, and floppy drive third.
Step eight- Save changes, boot into XP, and enjoy your computer.

XnOObX

thats great, thanks zek.

When u say 'repair your xp partion', is this because there is an actual fault with it, or just because of the change in board?

thanks again.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
It's only because of the board change, OS would get very confused with new board. So just go into windows XP install CD (boot from it), act like you're going to reinstall, and it SHOULD offer you an option to repair. Happy Gaming!

XnOObX

nice one. so i wouldnt need to uninstal my current board drivers?

if u dont hear from me for 2 years its because i did it wrong, lol.

zekrahminator

McLovin
I understand completely. And I just went into the XP CD (Darth Flatulence got an update :D), and you can repair your XP partition just by going into the CD after you repair your motherboard. I would reccomend uninstalling the drivers just in case, you never know.

XnOObX

zekrahminator said:
I understand completely. And I just went into the XP CD (Darth Flatulence got an update :D), and you can repair your XP partition just by going into the CD after you repair your motherboard. I would reccomend uninstalling the drivers just in case, you never know.

im assuming (and hoping) u meant replace my motherboard, right? i.e. i swap them over and THEN boot off the cd and chose to repair my partition?

zekrahminator

McLovin
More accurately, Remove drivers, replace motherboard, repair XP, install new drivers. And it will be surprisingly easy. It's on the XP CD main menu, just press "R".

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
ya iv done it b4 thats all you have to do

M

markkleb

I think the best way is to do a clean install on the new mobo. The chances of you being able to use your old HDD with windows on the new mobo are pretty slim.

there is probably a place here at Tech power Up that explains what to do.

I always get the newest drivers from the mobo's website (I never use the instalation disk)
And try and install DX9 before you install the Video drivers.

XnOObX

fresh instal? man, i did that only 2 months ago. Im gonna try and avoid it if possible.

zekrahminator

McLovin
You shouldn't NEED a clean install, it's just what will get you the best performance. We want an update, has that board come yet? :p.

XnOObX

ill be installing it tomorrow :)

ill post up my 3dmark05 scores from before and after with system specs. thanks for the help chaps.

M

markkleb

zekrahminator said:
You shouldn't NEED a clean install, it's just what will get you the best performance. We want an update, has that board come yet? :p.
Who dosent want "BEST PERFORMANCE"? lol

XnOObX

reinstalliing will always give more performance but i can only stand doing it so often. 2 months ago will hopefully be recent enough.