• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 320 Series SSD 300 GB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Intel's 320 Series SSD has been on the market for a while now. Recently the drives were plagued by a series of failures which caused the drive to report as 8 MB. A recent Intel firmware update adresses this issue. The installed the new firmware and gave the drive a spin.

Show full review

Last edited:
In only registered to say that I find it funny/creepy to see that you're bashing this drive (Intel 320) for its problems with losing data due to a bug (already fixed), yet you never even once mentioned the problems with SF-2281 drives (such as OCZ Vertex 3 etc.). It's quite obvious, looking at any forum, that SF-2281 have caused and still cause much more trouble (BSODs, freezes, disconnecting, etc.). There's still no final fix for this, and still a lot of people experience serious problems with SF-2281 drives. OTOH, I've read only of a few confirmed cases of this 320 bug so far - seems more of a potential than a real problem.

That's not a fair approach by any means.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

System Name Novastorm
Processor Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Memory 6x4GB Mushkin Blackline DDR-III/1456
Video Card(s) 2 x Galaxy GeForce GTX 480 in SLI
Storage 1 x Intel 320 SSD 600GB, 8 x Hitachi 7K2000 in RAID-6
Display(s) DELL 3008WfP 30"
Case EYE 2020
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply Tagan PipeRock 1300W
Software Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Intel 320

Hmm, that's true, I've been looking through some forums, and it seems that especially OCZs drives are dying quite a lot.

But besides that, I would love reviewers to notice the legacy OS compatibility that the Intel drive has to offer. Using Intels SSD Toolbox you can TRIM any Intel SSD even in Windows XP and Windows XP Pro x64 Edition (which I am using), which was the reason why I bought my Intel 320. Performance-wise Intels own controllers are clearly no longer top notch, but compatibility and warranty-wise.. their offer is pretty good actually. The only thing that might harm its reputation is the 8MB / BAD_CTX 13x bug, but I am unaware of how may drives are actually affected by this. There seem to be no actual numbers on this.

However, it seems, legacy OS compatibility is not important for most users.. but I think official XP support is still noteworthy.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
In only registered to say that I find it funny/creepy to see that you're bashing this drive (Intel 320) for its problems with losing data due to a bug (already fixed), yet you never even once mentioned the problems with SF-2281 drives (such as OCZ Vertex 3 etc.). It's quite obvious, looking at any forum, that SF-2281 have caused and still cause much more trouble (BSODs, freezes, disconnecting, etc.). There's still no final fix for this, and still a lot of people experience serious problems with SF-2281 drives. OTOH, I've read only of a few confirmed cases of this 320 bug so far - seems more of a potential than a real problem.

That's not a fair approach by any means.

I have been using my drives for awhile now and have no issues. Perhaps the issue isn't actually the drive as some users don't have it at all, and some have it frequently?

Research before purchasing something that costs this much is always advised, and I am glad that I bought the drives I did for the price I paid.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
...comment re missing info
Yes, I agree that the review would have been a little better in terms of a comparative if it had also looked into the reliability and firmware issues of other SSDs given that the issue was mentioned for the 320. To offer the benefit of doubt, the reviewer is a GPU guru and not a SSD guru and hasn't tracked ownership and reliability issues across brands. This is a simple performance benchmark review.

But given that, I think w1zz could improve the benchmarking with a real-world or synthetic benchmark of multi-tasking scenario. All the benchmarks are very simple single-app large datafile transfer, load or save. I would have liked to see something that allows us to take a view on multitasking, multi IOP, since these are relevant for different usage scenarios. What should I get for my webserver? Horses for courses.

PS. The info about legacy TRIM via a utility is very important. I would have liked to know this before my recent purchase of a Crucial M4 128GB. Had I known about TRIM on legacy I would have bought the Intel. (The SSD is for this netbook with Win 5.2R2)