1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel and smartphone's/mobile, when will they dominate?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by a_ump, Jul 31, 2014.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    So i was pondering they other day about stocks and thought of intel even though they've been somewhat stagnant, but then i realized they haven't really busted into the super mobile market of smartphones/tablets. I currently am just 23, but i thought if there were a company i'd invest in, it would be Intel and no time would be better than now before they make billions from smartphones.....

Sooo, for pure speculation purposes, when will intel's massive R&D budget finally dominate the mobile market instead of ARM? I know that intel already took over Windows tablets with Bay Trail, but with Cherry Trail coming up in 2015 i expect intel's R&D to have finally paid off and we'll see many intel smartphones.

What do you all think? Will intel soon dominate the mobile phone market in 2015-2016 with Cherry Trail, or will ARM(Qualcomm, Nvidia) stay dominate for 3-5 or more years to come?

I personally see Intel doing to the mobile market what its already done to the PC market.

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I haven't heard of any intent by Intel to move into wireless phones. Considering all existing wireless phones are ARM, it would be like ARM making it's way into the desktop space which, fat chance on both accounts.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    I own a Motorola Razr I for a year and a half and it uses an Intel Atom 2.0Ghz Z2460 Medfield chip and I thought this was soooo damn cool so I had to pick up the phone!

It's pretty good but it lacks plenty of apps that I'd like to have and the performance is decent but suffers from random slow downs and have to restart the phone!

I can't wait for Intel to bring out a more powerful chip for phones as I'd buy one again ^^

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Maybe there hasn't been anything official stating they want to storm the market, but seeing as how the PC market is expected to keep declining in sales where else will they go to boost revenue?

Intel's own Obsidian UI for Tizen
    Intel's quad-core atom with built in LTE

They have also developed an SoC called SoFIA
    -Quote from SoFIA link-
    What is SoFIA?
    "Announced last December, SoFIA is a new mobile chip that's set to debut at the end of this year. Designed for budget smartphones, SoFIA is set to give Qualcomm and Mediatek a run for their money in this rapidly growing part of the market.

Intel has packed a dual-core Atom Silvermont processor into a 28nm system-on-chip (SoC) design that also crams in a 3G modem. An LTE 4G quad-core version will appear at a later stage. Intel declined to reveal more about performance at this point, saying only it expects it to be on par with current offerings from its competitors."

So I'd say intel does have their eyes set on the smartphone market. As for the ground they have to make up compared to the competition, I don't know what kind of budget those companies have, but we all know Intel's budget far surpasses any other. Link for 2013 R&D budgets

there's a table in that^ link that show's the R&D of intel being ~$10 million with everyone else topping just $3.3 million or less

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Tablets like the Surface Pro.

If x86 has as much trouble getting market share as Windows Phone does, it isn't going to go anywhere fast.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i feel like you're being sort of...unoptimistic. Why is it you have such doubt that the company with the greatest manufacturing labs and technology, as well as some of the brightest minds in chip making, won't be able to be competitive? I could understand ARM trying to move to desktop and Intel is a giant in that field, but for intel to move into the handheld field its more like there's a few "big" companies in the field, but not on the scale that Intel is.

It really isn't that i'm an intel fanboy and want them to destroy qualcomm or anything, but when i look at intel's resources compared to other companies its just like "wow it would take 2-4 companies just to match intel".

7. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    They have to destroy puny AMD first. It's clear that the size of the company does not matter with chip making we all remember Larrabee

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  8. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    But they can't destroy AMD can they? i thought that would make them a monopoly which isn't allowed, and then there's the whole licensing of x64 that AMD invented. Correct me I'm wrong.

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  9. dr0thegreatest

dr0thegreatest

Thanks Received:
    intel is already in the chip making race but i dont know if they will dominate. To decide if you want to invest in stocks just based on this, follow the companes techincal briefs to see if they have anything over existing competitors. From what i know INTEL smartphone SOC isnt all that. Plus that doesnt guarantee that Intel stocks will skyrocket.