1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces "Thunderbolt ready" Upgrade Program for Motherboards, PCs

Discussion in 'News' started by Cristian_25H, Nov 15, 2013.

?

Do you have a use for Thunderbolt?

1. Yes, already using it

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Yes

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. No

25 vote(s)
    86.2%
  1. Octavean

Thanks Received:
    I see, well that is an older Z77 based board with respect to the new Z87 Pro board pictured above with ThunderboltEX II card.

With some luck it might work with your board but don't take that as a guarantee. It's a good idea to be prepared for it not to work until there is some more definitive info.

2. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    ...as always... not every tech is made for everybody. Intel actions are somewhat confusing though. Its like they made an investment into tb and 3/4 of the way through they discovered something better and cheaper. So they couldn't push tb like they should and they're only doing enough to cover their investment. As we have seen mac users has embraced it and are using it.(some anyway..had to stop a customer from forcibly jamming a usb into one :rolleyes:) Seems like intel don't want it beyond the apple crowd..who aint whining about prices or will throw a hissy fit when its replaced by something else..

3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    What am I missing?

This Intel thunderbolt GPIO add-in card requires a compatible mainboard with GPIO socket and a PCIe slot for mounting it and for power.

So why not just use a dedicated PCIe x4 to thunderbolt adapter card?

What am I missing? Price? Intel monopoly?

Octavean says thanks.
  4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    I don't quite understand why there are so many votes of NO, yes i am the only Yes. I mean who wouldn't want thunderbolt to transfer movies, maybe tv series(GB's and GB's) to a flash drive and then to another computer. I personally would be in heaven with those transfer rates.

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Its capable of so much more, yet Intel is refusing to open it up to greatness. Imagine a laptop which you can have 10+ hrs of battery life, yet have a graphics card as powerful as an 290 waiting at home for you to game. Imagine having a cheap HDD enclosure with insane transfer speeds. Instead what we get is daisychain'ed monitors and crazy overpriced HDD enclosures. Thanks, but no thanks.