1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Brings Affordable Solid-State Computing to Netbooks and Desktop PCs

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    40GB is fine for an OS - remember, you'd throw a 1TB+ mechanical drive with it for storage in a desktop.
    My only problem is the write speeds... i'd need 50MB/s+
  2. poldo

poldo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love the price but this will become terribly expensive like the others ones distributed here in our country (Philippines).
  3. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I agree mussels, I need a bit faster write speeds, 50-60 at that. However in I/O writes, this should slaughter. Once you get passed the initially slow installs (much like a mechanical drive) your system should fly.
  4. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    40GB isn't enough for OS for me. With Windows 7, Office, my limited selection of apps, and a couple of games, I'm seeing well over 40GB of use. With this drive the average desktop user will have to store either app suites or Games on another drive.

Two of these in RAID0 for the win, though...

Nevermind, I'd rather have one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139132
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you say its not enough for the OS, then you add games...

its enough for anyones OS. you just dont install anything but the OS and its neccesities... i still dont understand why anyone installs games on their C: drive except for laziness.
  6. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well coz I've always had a 60+GB C: drive (since 60+GB drives have been around), and coz I only ever had one or two games installed at a time... things are changing though, a few years ago I switched to a small system partition that I could nuke and re-do anytime, and recently I've started messing with more video games.

I still say that 40GB is limited even for the casual user. This is good for netbooks. Or someone who is maybe thinking of RAID 0 or 5 with 3 or more these.
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i do 40GB for OS, and everything else is a games/storage partition. massively reduces backup time for formats, as well as damage when viruses hit - and saves me lots of defrag time on the D: partition
  8. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    The very nature of paging is such that small pages are read and written. 40MB/sec with very fast access (Well under 1ms) times native to an SSD are way better for a page file than a regular HDD which might have higher write speeds, but an access time of several ms.
  9. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you explain why? Are there performance gains from installing games on another drive and where do you put your page file?
  10. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Usually the page file involves lots of writing, and that contributes to fragmentation on mechanical drives. By having them on separate partitions, you can be sure that your games are always defragmented and load faster.
    Mussels and LifeOnMars say thanks.
  11. deaffob New Member

Thanks Received:
    meh what's the point of buying these affordable SSDs when the speeds r so crippled that you can actually feel the difference between the real SSDs.
  12. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    Because a 'slow' SSD is still alot faster than a HDD.
  13. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the definition of 'fast' and 'slow'. This SSD reads faster and has better access times, but writes far slower than a modern HDD.
  14. Drac

Drac New Member

Thanks Received:
    35 mb write? what a crap. I would buy it if it would be the double, 70 mb write. I will wait for something cheap better than this.