• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Completes Next Generation, 32nm Process Development Phase

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Intel Corporation has completed the development phase of its next-generation manufacturing process that further shrinks chip circuitry to 32 nanometers (a billionth of a meter). The company is on track for production readiness of this future generation using even more energy-efficient, denser and higher performing transistors in the fourth quarter of 2009. Intel will provide a multitude of technical details around the 32nm process technology along with several other topics during presentations at the International Electron Devices meeting (IEDM) next week in San Francisco.

Finishing the development phase for the company's 32nm process technology and production readiness in this timeframe means that Intel remains on pace with its ambitious product and manufacturing cadence referred to as the company's "tick-tock" strategy.

That plan revolves around introducing an entirely new processor microarchitecture alternating with a cutting edge manufacturing process about every 12 months, an effort unmatched in the industry. Producing 32nm chips next year would mark the fourth consecutive year Intel has met its goal.

The Intel 32nm paper and presentation describe a logic technology that incorporates second-generation high-k + metal gate technology, 193nm immersion lithography for critical patterning layers and enhanced transistor strain techniques. These features enhance the performance and energy efficiency of Intel processors. Intel's manufacturing process has the highest transistor performance and the highest transistor density of any reported 32nm technology in the industry.

"Our manufacturing prowess and resulting products have helped us widen our lead in computing performance and battery life for Intel-based laptops, servers and desktops," said Mark Bohr, Intel Senior Fellow and director of process architecture and integration. "As we've shown this year, the manufacturing strategy and execution have also given us the ability to create entirely new product lines for MIDs, CE equipment, embedded computers and netbooks."

Other Intel IEDM papers will describe a low power system on chip version of Intel's 45nm process, transistors based on compound semiconductors, substrate engineering to improve performance of 45nm transistors, integrating chemical mechanical polish for the 45nm node and beyond; and, integrating an array of silicon photonics modulators. Intel will also participate in a short course on 22nm CMOS Technology.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

NeSeNVi

I'm looking forward to it. It would be a nice upgrade from my 130nm Pentium4^^ But in a short course they will made even a 22nm... omg.

Mark_Hardware

System Name Mark1
Processor Intel Core2 Extreme QX9770
Motherboard EVGA 790i FTW PWM
Cooling Koolance Exos 2.5
Memory OCZ SLI PC3 14400 4Gb
Video Card(s) GTX 285 FTW
Storage WD raptor 300 Gb, WD 2tb
Display(s) ASUS 25.5"
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Power Supply Tagan BZ 1100w
Software Vista 64bit
I've been saying they were working on this for a while... that's why I didn't get all excited about the i7

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I'm impressed. I didnt think Intel would go straight to 32nm but get there via 37nm (Half way between 45nm and 32nm). Reason: it is extremely difficult to go sub 40nm for physical/technological reasons. It they can get to working 32nm silicon without current leakage then EXCELLENT.

The i7 will move to 32nm BEFORE there is any change in the functional design of Intel's CPUs. Dont get too excited about i7 on 32nm. It wont necessarily be a lot lower power, or faster. We will have to wait and see if Intel can beat those physical/technology issues to actually IMPROVE rather than just reduce the size of i7.

I

insider

They have more space in the package for increasing the i7 cache size after this 32nm die shrink.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Yep. They can reduce size, and cheaper. Or they can keep the size the same and add features. Either 6 cores with HT, and/or extra cache.

I

insider

Probably the only good thing about this global recession, it gets incredibly harder to convince corporations around the world to spend money (when they are fighting just to survive) on new server/workstation, unless you deliver some serious performance increases that can give them an edge and lower overall power consumption costs, even then... :D

It will be interesting to see what Intel and AMD (how much longer can they bleed cash???) can come up with just to squeeze some more sales in a market (both consumers and enterprise) where demand will decrease significantly over the next 2+ years ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Problem is AMD wont get to 32nm for a while, their roadmap sez 2011 which is a joke since Intel is saying they'll have their 32nm CPUs in Q4 09. I was actually hoping they wont have em on the market until first half of 2010, may be there will be some delay to buy AMD more time but they really gotta get their shit together, i'm afraid they'll fall so far behind they will never catch up. And that will be an end to competion, both average consumers and companies will be able to afford an upgrade only once in 5 or more years if this happens.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
Problem is AMD wont get to 32nm for a while, their roadmap sez 2011 which is a joke since Intel is saying they'll have their 32nm CPUs in Q4 09.

Perhaps AMD will get their roadmap fixed again to compete with Westmere chips (32nm) if they do show a spike in the stock market, I'm begging that Hardspell would show something about that. So far, Lynnfield chips (i5 45nm) was before known to be released in Q3, now its Q2. The hype from both companies is still a bit unstable. So far, I'm trying to hold my breath if games start showing some demand. Once its a bloat, I'm going for the best quad I can afford.

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Perhaps AMD will get their roadmap fixed again to compete with Westmere chips (32nm) if they do show a spike in the stock market, I'm begging that Hardspell would show something about that. So far, Lynnfield chips (i5 45nm) was before known to be released in Q3, now its Q2. The hype from both companies is still a bit unstable. So far, I'm trying to hold my breath if games start showing some demand. Once its a bloat, I'm going for the best quad I can afford.

the thing is that AMD may adjust their roadmaps all they want but it doesnt mean they will deliver on the scheduled date. They have been late with releases lately and it seems that Phenom 2 will be paper launched in january as well. Intel on the other hand has been better with meeting their launch promises so i'm inclined to beleive them on the i5 launch time but it could be marketing hype like u sed also so who knows. I personally gonna wait for proper DDR3 AM3 boards, may be even the new 800 series chipsets and then i'll decide which way to go, i7 or AM3.