1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7-4770K "Haswell" Tested, Not a Leap Ahead of i7-3770K, But Consistent

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Intel boards lack "extra" features, they usually pick from the cheapest reliable components, but they are rock solid stable most of the times, something you can always count on if you have to build machines what you don't want to "touch" for many years. They also act as a reference many times.
    Yes some boards they made didn't have solid caps and they indeed released some crap too, but which company didn't? They have good stable boards in every generations, and I like every good board regardless of the brand, so it's a loss for the industry imho.
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel will just do what AMD does: design reference boards for manufacturers only.

Meet "Annapurna," AMD's reference socket FM2 board from 2011 (when it first made it to our labs):

[​IMG]

AMD makes reference boards for each new socket and chipset. I imagine Intel doing the same.
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    But they don't do as good of a job as Intel does, and I am 1000% sure this is because AMD doesn't sell board products of it's own. There is NO reason for AMD to refine anything other than basic operation. For Intel, with boards on store shelves, they put way more effort into it.

So, I kind of expect the same of Intel, when Intel does the same. We'll then be relying on that same sort of reference product as the base.
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Non-commercial reference boards (those which never reach stores) needn't do a "good job."

It's not like today's AMD platform boards designed by partners are any worse than their boards based on the Intel platform (in terms of construction, components, layout, etc.)

Anyways, Intel's Desktop Board exit is another thread's discussion, not this one. In my closing opinion, Intel Desktop Board's exit should have zero impact on other manufacturers' quality.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  5. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    Keep asking and praying for that miracle.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Intel has two mb department (both are very small teams compared to other mainboard manufacturers btw). The first which makes reference boards and test boards (for chipsets, new CPUs, etc or architecture development, research) will continue to operate, and only the second team which makes end-user boards will shut down gradually. Last time I checked, the actual production of the commercial boards was always outsourced to Foxconn, a company which you also praised in the past for their quality production. I - of course - can't (and obviously would never want to) tell you what to do, but as an Editor & Senior Moderator of an enthusiast site, I'm surprised to see that you "feel good" about losing a competitor and a contributor from the industry.

Please don't get this all wrong (it was you who replied to my post at the first place anyway), so this is just well-intentioned criticism, and I do like and appreciate the work you guys doing on this great site:toast:
  7. NeoXF

Thanks Received:
    Troll harder, no one heard you the first time. In the meantime, work on your sentences.

Lackluster performance considering generation change + the bothersome socket change (plus another one coming shortly after, for DDR4 if nothing else) + higher TDP + the USB3.0 bug + the off-chance that overclocking will suck like on Ivy-Bridge... yeah, it's about time Intel took a narrow to the B. Hopefully AMD can capitalize on that, so the playing field gets leveled.
  8. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    I'm really curious: how is something what is actually (in fact) faster than anything previous ends up as "Lackluster" in your book? I think that Sandy Bridge was so awesome (compared to pretty much everything what was out there at that time), that people now just expect Intel to do miracles like that with every new release they have. I also wish for better Intel or AMD CPUs of course because more competition would lead to price-war and faster development, but you can't seriously expect a steady and smoothed out progression curve from any company at all the times, or do you? There are highs and lows for everybody and Intel is no exception, not to mention that this "low" doesn't look that much bad after all.
  9. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Great Answer!

Very well said! That's why I never recommend AMD except for certain low-budget gaming machines - the savings just aren't worth the heat/noise/energy waste, not to mention hardware/software compatibility issues and spotty RAM support
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    What seems funny to me is that if this were an AMD chip no one would be saying this! Intel is improving every time they turn out a new CPU line and all you hear is this? You people are complaining about Intels line? What about AMD? Man just look at how FAR behind AMD is! Yet you see this new CPU from Intel and all you can do is bitch? WOW!
  11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Wow indeed the hypocrisy amazes me.
    Intel are not daft they shit lidded the last few lines on purpose, they've probably a farely substantial performance leap held ransom in their back pocket, ready to unleash if amd getsclose oh and amd aren't the best but there not so bad.
  12. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    This is what worries me. Intel keeping his big boy in case AMD pull some miracle of it's sleve. Common, this is already the 3rd generation that is basically the 1st one with some minor improvements, nothing revolutionary. Only fools can think that Intel wasted all those years just to bring an update processor and not investing in something more substantial...
    Only time will tell.
  13. trickson

Thanks Received:
    That is just the way business works the weak are weeded out while the strong get stronger.
    I beg to differ with you on the " Nothing revolutionary", 3D transistors ring a bell. Does AMD have them? Not to mention the speed and over all performance increases with every new line. You may not see any revolutionary strides from one to the next from AMD but Intel is at least giving us some really great fast CPU's!
    Prima.Vera says thanks.
  14. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    They have been throwing all the RnD they can at Lv and mobile chips as they are fully aware arm and qualcom are spanking them in the mobile arena and making serious money too , qualcom are growing ridiculousy fast... its on their mind hence the drive for efficiency over raw performance.
  15. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    Sorry if i just stated the facts, AMD hasn't had an answer for intel cpu's really since day core 2 was released to the market.
  16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Thing is who cares?! This thread is not about AMD it is about the new Intel CPU and it is FANTASTIC!
  17. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    But yet you started it??:shadedshu
  18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am the one. :slap:
  19. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Your like a city fan, more interested in who beats United then if city win.;p
    This would indeed be a fine upgrade for some, and yes poss me,, not , $$kint.
    Melvis says thanks.
  20. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I could not follow one word of this. :shadedshu

I love how Intel is producing CPU's that at the very least give 10% more than the last one. :D
  21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Ok so you know nothing about football, proper FOOTball thats ok.
    But I didn't have you as a poor reader, 7-10% performance over Ivybridge is what's doing the rounds yet you say no less then ten , , well 7% is less then ten allbe it in some minds inc mine.
  22. trickson

Thanks Received:
    So what? Even if it is only 7% over sandy what has AMD done for you? Yeah BD! Intel is giving us great new Chips and all any one seems to be able to do is bitch about it? Man you people! :shadedshu
  23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    AMD made crysis 3 run better for me, and more , but hows that relevant.
    And its 7-13% I was a bit out , don't get me wrong fella , I think the 4770k is an ok improvement but then im always realistic, but if I win the euro lotto tomorrow id be buying one , im forced by economy at the moment as are many, its nice to see you about btw .
  24. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    Which cpu runs crysis 3 better? i doubt that its AMD. 7-13% is consistent with from 1st gen to sandy to ivy. Gpu got a major improvement over the previous ones.
  25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I agree the cpu in my main rig , which replaced a 960t to play it better but id go with this, as ive said prior.

I don't think out right hateing on companies helps so I take it alll as it comes , games play well on both setups in reality but better is better