1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by FireKillerGR, Jun 1, 2013.

1. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    TTL reached 5GHz with the Gaming GD65...

Hoping to see some golden and DELIDDED chips soon... A custom loop should keep 5+GHz clocks under safe temperatures.

2. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the review.

Oh man, you probably got the worst sample on the planet. Did you try it in a different mobo, because maxing out at 4.2 sounds almost unreal? It seems like that messing with the BCLK just makes things worse for most of the people, but looks like 45-47x100 is easily doable between 1.2-1.3V with most of the chips out there, ( well, except in your case:/ ).

I like the new cpu btw, especiall the fact that it's a lot faster in rendering (more than 20% in mental ray for example; probably because the "slower" L3 cache doesn't really affect rendering applications, while the faster architecture delivers more multithreaded computational power).

I know that you need to spend your money on a good GPU nowadays, but I will get a 4770k for sure.

3. ArchStupid

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunatly it doesn't work that way. If the GPU is a bottleneck for the system then upgrading he CPU will have next to no effect on performance in games (in most games at least). The higher the resolution the more evident this is because higher resolution alone mostly just increases the load on the GPU.

4. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Let me feed you a little bit;)

There are about ~20 games out there where CPU matters in 1080p or above, and the rest of the games are all GPU bond/limited (means: you get 1-5fps difference with all kind of CPUs). And even half of those ~20 games are so old (like Far Cry2 for example) that you already get 60+fps with an i3 sandy, so you really need to dig around to get some CPU bond games where switching to Haswell would actually matter.

So no, this test doesn't really need a dedicated GPU section imo.

(Well, things could change when the new PS4-Xbox1 ports will arrive, but lets not jump into conclusions about things we don't have actual test data)

5. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Indeed that would be. Still highly debating it. Id get back into crunching if i had an i7. Then again, my H60 prob wouldnt be supported by the 1150 board.

6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    ??? They will be $500+ except if they make the 3820 comparable.

7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    not sure if anybody already asked in the last 4 pages, is there power consumption improvements?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I am concerned my noctua nh-d14 will not fit, although if I can find the 1150 mounting specs I will just make my own bracket

9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    mountings are the same as 1156/1155. No need to worry at all. ;)

Plus, it's Noctua. If there was, they'd offer replacement brackets, for free. They always do.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Two major releases this week.

A re-branded GTX 680, and CPU not all that different than Ivy Bridge.

I could say "welcome to last year", but instead I'll just say "meh".

Nothing at all to get excited about.

11. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Ib here I come!

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  12. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Well, Intel is still behind APUs on graphics. Some of the early previews made it seem like they had caught up but after seeing this and others...ehhh. Intel graphics are still crap, the world is safe for now! :toast:

13. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Actually, you can't really say that. Intel didn't put the fastest IGP's in these top-end desktop CPU's, the Intel Integrated Graphics 5000 is only going in low-end CPU's as well as mobile CPU's, which makes sense. For all I care, they should disable the IGP on the K-series processors.

14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The "iris" gpu is in high end cpu's actually. And that beats Trinity.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. NeoXF

Thanks Received:
    9.5 for this piece of crap!? Really now? April's Fool was 2 months ago guys... I can't even begin to enumarate all the wrong in this review...

In conclusion, all credibility for this website, gone.

16. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    I really dont think that this piece of crap has any negative points except the overclocking results. Which may be a result of a bad cpu.
    You CANNOT judge a whole series of "craps" (as you said) because one didnt achive the expected when it comes to the overclocking results...

Trying to be objective though you cant buy anything better for those money, thats for sure.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    This isn't much different than ivb or sb, they should of made it 1155 instead of 1150, Intels being tools and personally this cpu deserves a 10 pt reduction for not being any different that past parts.

18. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    Dont want to start a disagreement :)
    But I really dont find it that bad having a cpu which performs better on most benchmarks with lower temperatures than the previous series.

Anyway as I said it doesnt worth an upgrade from ivy to haswell but it does if the person comes from a series like sandy or from an older one.

19. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm building a new machine in a month, so I will be building Haswell, may as well as it's a new build and I'm using a athlon64 3200+ :eek:

Scrizz and FireKillerGR say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. V3ctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I sold my 2600k 3 months ago, so I have to buy this new 4770k...

Just hope I'll get at least 4.6Ghz... Without improving my cooling in my SS FT02.

Like FireKillerGR said (i think!), we had great overclockers (SB and IB to some extent), and we were spoiled... Inte'ls goal now is efficiency and the enthusiast guys are left in the dust...

I guess that Intel is puting the cheap TIM in the cpu's do we don't overclock them like hell, maybe they are extremely voltage sensitive. And they could only limit the OC by "adding" heat to the equation...

Anyway, later this evening I'll be playing with my 4770k, hoping it's a good bin... if not... I'll change it when the new tick appears (14nm I think), maybe then we'll see some Haswell power...

21. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    Hey Fire, mind if I as a couple of questions about your cooling setup and the temps you got? I couldn't seem to find the info in the review, and it would help me in deciding what CPU-cooler I should pair with a Haswell. What cooling solution do you use, and was the test done on a test bench?

22. FireKillerGR

Thanks Received:
    oh sorry
    I used the Prolimatech Megahalems with a Sunon (110Cfm) @7V to be quite.
    Tim is for sure better than the previous series. I tried 4.4GHz with 1.35 yesterday got 76C :)

TIM seems to be better than the one used on Ivy series. So, it isnt matter of temperatures, at least based on monitoring.

Yellow&Nerdy? says thanks.
  23. V3ctor New Member

Thanks Received:
    If its not TIM, then it's the new architecture... its bad to OC... lets see if AMD can at least come close to the performance of SB.

24. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    lol :D

25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Like has been already said some were, SKT1150 is new so it kinda pays to be on new chip/skt/chipset. It seems yet another INTEL socket is destined for the bin of history, 775, and 1156 are history, how long has 1155 got, it's inevitable now I guess.

I'm looking forward to playing with Z87, plus the boards are pretty cheap in the uk, £105 for a Asrock Z87 Pro 3, and £150 for a Intel Core i5-4430, not bad and I CBA with overclocking no more :eek:

Boards start at £90 and CPU's at £150 so at least prices are good, no reason to buy 1155 + IVY no more imo.

10 Year Member at TPU