1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7 Previews/Reviews Posted

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 3, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  2. Lu(ky

Thanks Received:
    Wow nice reviews, now we all need to sit back and see what motherboard combo with the Core i7 Extreme CPU does the best before we go out and buy it. I really thought it would do much better with the Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 is performed with a raw two hour AVI file test. But on another note these boards will have SLI/CrossFire ready on them which is a plus. I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these setups.. Of course with the Core i7 Extreme CPU in one. :)

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the look of these, the motherboard support at launch is a little limited and of course, as you would expect....costly, i will keep my current system until the new year then look to upgrade once the initial limited stock is sorted and availabilty and prices level out.....I already have good DDR3 so at least i dont need to worry about that.

4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I realize I will upgrade eventually to a Core i7, but not now. Looks pretty sweet. I cannot stomach buying:

DDR3 AND a Mobo AND a CPU...

That is kinda annoying...

5. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The memory bandwidth is simply crazy, I'm surprised there aren't more synthetic benchmarks that reflect it as much. None the less, overall it's a clear winner.

From HardOCP:

[​IMG]

7. truehighroller1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So is Tom's Hardware right about the chips throttling them selves back after they reach the 130Watt mark if it isn't an extreme model?? If this is true then I say F intel and I shall not buy one until they get that issue resolved or some one figures out how to get around the drawback because I have never spent $1000 on a chip and I never will.....

8. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
  9. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    This is a simply amazing processor, I cant wait till the "budget" varieties of this (like the i7 version of the e7200) come out along with some good and affordable boards. Maybe in a year or so I will upgrade after the Die-Shrink, by then I will might need the performance boost.

10. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    The socket will change to 1160 (?) for "mainstream". The rules are changing and you will not like what my crystal ball is telling me.

11. truehighroller1 New Member

Thanks Received:

Any one?? I would think right now this would be all the talk.. If this is true then what will be the limit on your over clocks??

12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Amd processor anyone?....nah i didnt think so.

Anyone think regardless of all the non oc'ing hype that intel mght pull of another core2 revolution with this.It is looking better and better the more info we get.

14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yea, just reading that here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057-7.html

"Apparently, Intel has realized that the good overclocking potential of its processors has led ambitious users to choose less expensive models, relegating the faster (and more expensive) CPUs to the sidelines."

Let's hope some clever engineers at Gigabyte or ASUS, or whereever find a way to circumvent the "hard-wired" limit.

15. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aye, I like that review:
    :laugh:

We all knew it was coming. Intel's been on top for a while, and the Core i7 is so fast it's going to keep them there for a while, so now they're going to start milking us for cash. :banghead:

16. truehighroller1 New Member

Thanks Received:

Thank you some one paying attention lol. Right, this IMO will make or break the deal for me because I am not buying a piece o shiat that is limited by the power it consumes. Talk about a joke... I will not spend $1000 to be able to go over 130Watts "or get a good overclock". I am also wondering if this is true,, then what would that option limit the over clock to ??

17. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    And that core2 is using DDR2 memory... They should have the same speed DDR3 memory and a quad core for comparison. A 680i e8500 vs i7 core on a new x58 is like racing a Toyota Yaris vs Ford Mustang.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  18. jyoung75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some very interesting quotes from the tomshardware article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057.html. Nehalem performance is better than I expected, though I suspect overclockers are gonna boycott this processor due to the hardwired limits on overclocking:(

"In our benchmark suite, the Corei7 is 25% faster clock-for-clock than the Core 2."

"The Core i7 is going to leave Intel's rival AMD lagging even further behind. Put bluntly, you'd need two and a half Phenom X4 processors to compete with Intel's current Core i7 flagship model.

"Overclockers shouldn't get their hopes up though: all standard models are equipped with an overclocking lock."

"Thus, it is entirely possible that a lower model Core i7 may offer excellent overclocking potential, but it will be constrained by the Overspeed Protection feature when its power dissipation triggers it. Obviously, Intel wants to prevent customers from buying an inexpensive processor and then overclocking it to very high or even extreme levels. Apparently, Intel has realized that the good overclocking potential of its processors has led ambitious users to choose less expensive models, relegating the faster (and more expensive) CPUs to the sidelines."

19. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  20. truehighroller1 New Member

Thanks Received:

Boycott what what.... I wanna see how bad this option criples the chips..

21. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:

Yeah I was thinking of re-using my DDR3 as well but...

Source

My memory runs 1.8V+, so do we have to worry about this ? I seen this mentioned before but really never looked into it much.

Tatty_One says thanks.
  22. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Well they talk about the lower end models that draw 60wat stock, then you've got a theoretical 70w over overhead to reach the 130w limit.

...and like I said "Let's hope some clever engineers at Gigabyte or ASUS, or whereever find a way to circumvent the "hard-wired" limit."

If they can't then gone are the days where you can take a $200 CPU and get $1000+ worth of power out of it :mad:

23. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jeez, AMD is now back in the dumps, how will Deneb go up against THIS?!

24. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    At least until AMD uses some of that middle eastern venture capital it just got and produces a worthy competitor, but that could be a year or more from now. :shadedshu

The good thing is that Intel is now so far ahead that I'm betting they're going to slow down R&D a bit, allowing AMD to hopefully catch up -- the Nehalem is going to be the fastest thing from Intel for a while, I'm thinking. But it's going to be a bit of a wait.

25. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good find, and yes, I think we do need to be concerned, fortunatly mine will run at 1.5V although at lower speeds and looser timings, at 1.65v I could probably only get about 1400mhz @ 7-7-7-20 :cry: