1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel drops "Pentium" brand

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jan 16, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    TG Daily noted that Intel will drop the Pentium name without making any major press release announcements. The "Pentium" name will be simply replaced by the processor model such as "Intel D 920" or "Intel 672" without introducing a new brand. Apparently, the transition is planned to begin in the immediate future. The company declined to comment on the possibly fading Pentium brand. The Microprocessor Report, suggests that the Pentium naming tradition was becoming old, confusing and desperately needed a refreshment.
    Source: TG Daily

2. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Celerons have more confusing naming sceme than Pentium. At least the Pentiums had generation number II III IV. If you say you have a Celeron nobody can even ball park guess anything about your processor. It could be 350MHz or 2.0Ghz; they should have faded out the Celeron title if anything.

3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i personally hate the 940/660 whatever. atleast they used the old naming system that gave real stats. say a P2 667MHz was a 667mhz cpu with 256k cache. if you asked me what a P4 660 was i would have no clue other then it had at least 512k cache.

4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i think so to though inm an amd fan i like intel just as much i guess i mean how cool is the name pentium? all we have is what intel is doing now...company name model number....i wish theyd just change it to a cooler name its just a name but come on u know it sounds cool.

any one remember/watch the show lone gunman after the x-files whent retarded...those hacker guys made their own show that lasted a season and in this one episode they boosted this processor called the octium 4 the plate( a64's have um u cant see the core its covered by that like silver plate) was gold and it could calculate like 300trillion calculations a sec or somethin.

5. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    maby they should drop the pentium name and replace it with the core name. after all us computer literate have been doing that for years.

6. mnm222876 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Think about the history of the Pentium and effect it had on the world. End of a dynasty.

7. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    At least now people won't go about asking you what Pentium you have in your PC lol... Maybe they'll finally just ask your CPU model. :rolleyes:

8. thedivinehairband New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still can't get my head around those model numbers.
    we need an independant score applicable to both companies proccesser as some sort of performance guide.
    well i do neways! :rolleyes:

9. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a good thought! It would make sence to do this! :)

10. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    This isnt really news, as its already going on. The chips in the new MacIntels are "Intel Core Duo", and if you looked at the new logos released months ago, you didnt see pentium anywhere for new products.

11. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    I think salesreps are going to have a hard time explaining to everyone what the new processors are and how they compare to the old ones without using the Pentium branding... But I guess it had to happen sometime? Instead of just going on until Pentium 9 or something. :rolleyes: