1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

intel E4400 what video card fits?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by r3drum, Apr 13, 2012.

1. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there ppl,

Im a newb with computers and now my pc has a burnt video card ( makes lots of little horizontal lines). I know its the card cuz if I take it out the pc works fine ( real shitty color lol but fine). So I was thinking since the card blew, I might as well upgrade it but I don't know what I can fit in there ( physical space and power supply limitations!). Ok I have a HP Pavilion z6157c. The side of the box says it has a E4400 intel core 2 duo processor, vista home, 2048 MB system memory, 320GB hard drive and a dvd burner. I think I changed the power supply some time ago but I don't know how to check it ( in the back the little red clip says 115 and if you push it then it goes to 230).

Basically my question is what video card can I replace it with ?

regards

Chris

p.s I can take pictures of parts if asked, thanks

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Keep the switch on the back to whatever you mains voltage is or you're not going to have a computer for long. I take it that the card was using a PCI-E 2.0 slot, but it is in a micro-atx chassis. Maybe a card that doesn't require external power?

Maybe a gimped 6750, but really no more than what would draw from just the bus, unless you can tell us what wattage and manufacturer for the power supply.
    PowerColor AX6750 1GBK3-H Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-b...

Also check the dimensions first, you want to make sure what ever you get fits in your case so get a ruler handy.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it would help a lot if you could get photos of your PSU, motherboard inside your PC case, and your old graphics card.

4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Mussels says thanks.
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  6. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    there you go!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

let me know if they show what you need to see !!

thanks

7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    OMG......

[​IMG]

Easy Rhino, Mohammed and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I forgot what video card I have but i could boot my pc and find out! I dont really care what goes in since this pc is prety old, but I would like an upgrade to my previous card XD!!

9. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol better now ?

[​IMG]

10. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    You need to get an air compressor and seriously blow out that heatsink as well as the rest of the computer. With the tar/dust combination completely blocking your heatsink as well as being all over your old video card, it's only a matter of time before your CPU or board gets damaged due to overheating. I feel that is what happened to your video card, as I bet the fan seized up from sticky tar dust.

No offense to your smoking habits or anything, but if you smoke anywhere near your PCs or electronics thet rely on active air flow for cooling, you must pay extreme attention to sticky tar dust accumulation and remove it as soon as possible.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    ouch!! o_O haha ok ok ill get one tomorow, bring it outside and do that !!

thanks for your input XD

12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Even compressed air cans will work just fine. You'll probably need a screwdriver or a paperclip to dislodge the dust out of the CPU heatsink, but your computer will greatly thank you for freeing the dust.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Smoker's dust.

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:

[​IMG]

well, at least we know why the card stopped working.

that PSU should be replaced if you want a decent video card, its low amperage on the 12V rail wont really run anything powerful enough to need an external PCI-E connector.

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It's only an E4400. How powerful does it need to be? The last one was a low profile card. What do you use your computer for, r3d?

16. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    yea that dust def has to go.

as for the colors looking bad, its probably b/c you don't have the drivers for your onboard gpu (or w/e you replaced the card with) installed.

If you just want to replace what you had, this will do. ZOTAC ZT-84GED2M-HSL GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 32-bit ...

If you want an upgrade in performance for some light gaming, this will do
    GIGABYTE GV-R657OC-1GI Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit ...

It'll be much faster in regards to gaming, and only uses about 10w more than the 8400gs

also, might want to invest in one of these, it'll be cheaper than canned air in the long run Canless Air Systems O2 Hurricane Computer Duster-N... ... I might get myself one later lol. seriously tho that think is probably overkill, a can or two of compressed air should clean out your system, after that i'd check dust levels once in a while. might want to use a nylon brush or something to loosen the dust if its stuck on

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    More than 25k PPD
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    an E4400 could still work really well with something like a 5770 for FPS games, if he wanted to go there.

18. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use it for gaming lol XD, As soon as I can im gonna build a new pc but for now this is it haha !!

mind you, this pc only needs to run D3 and LOL, and with the old card it was running LOL very well haha!!

19. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I'd highly recommend a new psu just for the fact that its gonna be full of tar and dust. You really, REALLY, cannot smoke near a computer and expect it to last.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  20. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol you guys all say that buy my pc has been under my desk all the time haha. Im not really sharing my smokes with it haha!!

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ignoring their panic fits, it really is a serious concern. that much dust could block fans, causing serious overheating - and with a cheap PSU (and yes, even the coolermasters and thermaltakes count as cheap PSU's in this regard) such a failure could result in a fire, and/or the death of every component in your PC.

the longer they run in such conditions, the less lifespan they have - so even if you cleaned it today, the damage could be done.

22. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    so if i understand properly, I can pick up the 6570 (the second one lol) and stick that in with my current power supply and it will run ?

if so that's actually nice, I think that card is pretty much similar to my card in my laptop ( witch i also blew lol)

23. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I think your electronics are trying to tell you something...

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  24. r3drum New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah lol!! you should see the warzone of a construction site i bought the laptop for haha. I still have a original Canadian release iphone 3g ( and it works) lol. I normally keep stuff for ever haha XD

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just an FYI, laptop and desktop model numbers dont match. so a 6670 desktop could be twice as fast (or faster) than the laptop version.