1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Gears Software Developers Up for Windows 8

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 8, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahead of Microsoft Windows 8 general availability, Intel has updated two toolkits for application developers - Intel Media SDK 2012 R3 and Intel SDK for OpenCL Applications 2013 Beta. In addition to Windows 8, Intel Media SDK also supports DirectX 11 with optimized access to hardware accelerated video encoding, decoding and transcoding for applications on 3rd Generation Intel Core processors.

The Intel SDK for OpenCL Applications Beta now supports OpenCL 1.2 API previews on CPU and other features such as a new kernel builder and GNU project debugger, which ease the creation of parallel and visual computing apps. Both kits support the new Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8 and are available now as free downloads.

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 can die a more painful death than Vista did.

3. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I hope it never gains life to experience death.

4. blanarahul

blanarahul

Thanks Received:
    Vista=8!

5. deleted New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really don't understand all of the hate for Windows 8. Apart from the Start Menu, which is admittedly pretty terrible, it's better in every way than Windows 7. Honestly, though, how much time do you really spend with the Start Menu open? I usually just type in a couple of letters of the program I want to open and press enter. I spend a total of maybe 30 seconds a day with the Start Menu open, and that's a very generous estimate.

6. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    If I say "Fisher Price: My First Windows" and what you imagine is exactly the same as an OS that's coming out except for the theme, the OS is a piece of crap.

If you're just going to type in what program you're using, why aren't you using a CLI?

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista wasn't even bad. More mob mentality please.

Frick says thanks.
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    It was at first and pre-SP1. Wasn't quite ready for prime time but that was other developer's fault as much as MS. Most of the true headaches and issues were in the enterprise market.

9. deleted New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I think Windows 8 is *less* Fisher Price than Windows 7. There's no more round, childproof corners on the windows, the cute bubbly start orb is gone, and the entire UI is more angular and masculine.

And although I have no issues with using the CLI, I think you're blatantly misrepresenting the use of the keyboard at the start menu. It's much faster and more accurate than flailing around with the mouse, and being able to use both hands (whether both on the keyboard or one on the keyboard and one on the mouse) is a huge gain for productivity.

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think the Start Meny was actually better in Windows XP than Vista/7. However, Vista/7 changed how you did things (at least for a lot of people) and when you do that it's quite a lot better. I'm not a fan of 8's Start Screen, but if you're not using the keyboard already you missed out on Vista/7. 8 is more evolution than enything else.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Naa. People hate change. They want the same thing over and over again just faster. Then they bitch about a lack of innovation and how everything is the same. Then they say developers are just milking the market and why should they pay for the same thing again only faster. Then the arguments for piracy begin. "Its not worth paying for. Ill just pirate it".

Then a developer does something new and all we hear is "OMG its not what I'm used too! Its new and I don't understand it fully right to begin with. I MUST BASH IT". Then the developer goes back to the proven solution and people call it innovative and the circle continues.

Bunch of brainless sheeple.

12. Frick

Thanks Received:
    There were issues man, you can't just ignore that. Some were Vista, a lot were 3rd party.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    New OS had teething issues? You don't say.

14. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Which is the point. Wrigleyvillain made a good point and you just "naaaah sheeple sheeple".

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The OS was fine. It was developers that were not on board. Yet MS gets the blame. You want to know OS problems? You guys are spoiled. Try using the very first OSX. Going from 9.2 to OSX was a NIGHTMARE. At least Vista would boot.

16. Frick

Thanks Received:
    It got fine after awhile, which is the entire point. I think we're talking different languages.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The only issue I ever had was the Creative drivers. Thats it.

18. Frick

Thanks Received:
    And now we're in "it worked for me" territory, which is pretty irrelevant.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    XP didn't have teething issues? Windows 7 didn't because guess what.......its Vista with just a different version number.

As for Vista not working I worked in a company that had 200+ computers upgraded to Vista 64-bit. IT guys never complained about a damn one of them. They LIKED the features it brought. People looked for the smallest thing to bash Vista because it fit into a the mob mentality of "Good, bad, good, bad" Windows releases. Not because it was really bad.

20. shb-

shb-

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 is awesome, best windows so far. Even if you dont like it, win8 will invade your home and touch you while you are sleeping.

21. Frick

Thanks Received:
    As I said, we're not talking to each other but over each other. And there's a reason the entire MS tech support department groaned when someone with Vista had problems with wireless networks.

Anyway. What was this thread about again?

22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems like Intel is late getting these out.

23. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Please, you have short memory... Let's refresh it a little.

Start with a laptop with 2GB of RAM that runs Win XP flawlessly. Installed Vista, this happened:

- 90% of drivers not compatible, so everything was mostly run in safe mode, including graphics
    - takes 3/4more time to boot/load interface
    - takes 10x more space for installing
    - needs at least 4GB of RAM to run like Win XP running on 512MB
    - high CPU usage - always
    - HD space is getting lower and lower daily with MS junk
    - 50% of WinXP software was incompatible with Vista

Can I stop now? :laugh::laugh: