1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel giving away gas???

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by WarEagleAU, Jul 27, 2008.

1. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if anyone else posted this or saw it, but an advertisement on newegg.com has intel giving 2 $10 gas cards from chevron gas stations with select processor purchases. They have a 230 dollar something QX9300 or something. I thought it was a nice little enticer and am wondering why AMD isnt doing something similar. Oh, you can use the $20 total in the cards for food, fuel, snacks, automotive, etc.
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't AMD rather discount so you save those $xx and use it on < insert expenditure here > :ohwell:
  3. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    its just a gimmick it would still work if they lowed the price of the processors by 10 or 20

its just some people think its a nice gesture and really its a gimmick

oh and its called petrol (petroleum) and diesel not gas i mean its a liquid you put in your car not actual gas, never understood why some places call it gas?

its like giving free games away sometimes id rather they gave no free software and it made the graphics card lower price

then i have a choice of what to do with the rest of the cash instead of being burdened with a card for money in a certain store off or a game i dont want
  4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the US. It doesn't have to make sense :p

kidding.
  5. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    I think it is a very stupid action from Intel.
    In times when there shortage for fuel and worldwide oil crisis imo it is stupid to give it away.
    I know it is not only for fuel but i just think companies like them should not be associated with those kinda products. Whynt keep it in the tech world. Would be more appropriate.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gas stands for gasoline, which is a liquid. its simply a contradictory abbreviation..... which doesnt make sense.

edit: and who said this was INTELS doing? has it been confirmed it was intel, or is it merely the e-tailer doing this to increase sales of those chips?
  7. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:

that's wicked funny, i've never had someone actually make a blind correction about this and be wrong. In the uk and many or all of the E.U. you refer to it as petrol. Because you guys figure it comes from a petroleum based product. In the U.S. It's gasoline... which ironically is what the major "gas companies" that you and i get our "gas" from call it. Technically it's not gas or petrol. It's fuel which means a combustible matter used to maintain fire, as coal, wood, oil, or gas, in order to create heat or power. Also i looked through a U.K. dictionary i have here and in it under the term "petrol" it just says U.k> Gasoline. So please play nice, and keep your language differrences to yourself.
    WarEagleAU says thanks.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    exodus: i beat you to it :p he never got the gas = gasoline connection. abbreviating a liquids name to that of a gas... well it is confusing.

P.S - i'm pretty sure the fuels used are actually slightly different. i remember seeing a mythbusters episode where they threw matches at gasoline and it refused to ignite, yet in my youth i managed to do that and succeed with australian 'petrol'
  9. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i actually stole my def from "dictionary.com" technically a fuel could be gasoline. as for gasoline not cumbusting under matches/ciggerettes that's true, the temperature or pressure must be increased greatly to create a chain reaction ending in cumbustion.
  10. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Who cares what it's called, and where... Stuffs just damn expensive and I cry everytime I fill up my tank with the REQUIRED OR YOU CAR GOES BOOM "premium" 93 octane.... Bring on solar power!
  11. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Haha, nice little topic Id say.

Well I saw this on newegg and it seems to be coming from them.

AMD does offer cheap procs, but I mean, with the current economics and what not, it couldnt hurt :D