1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

INTEL going to release more cpu's for the 1155 socket??

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by overclocking101, Jan 12, 2012.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    theres rumor that intel will release another 1155 cpu lineup. does anybody know if there is any truth to this?? I'm planning an upgrade for next month (I love tax time!) and I really dont want to nab an 1155 setup just to have to upgrade next year like I did with 1156. I would like a setup where in a year intel will release say a six core for, I cant afford 2011 socket and 1366 is going obsolete so I dont want to go that route.

2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    You've got Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge (without iGPU) coming for socket 1155. None of them are rumored to be 6-core CPUs.

3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    damn! thats what I was afraid of, intel keeping 6 core to the 2011 socket. well maybe the new SB chips will perform better due to not having the igpu.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    lga1366 also got 6 core cpu's

5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Why would that change the performance in and of itself? :confused:

Im going to take the navigation out of my car... it will now go faster.

6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Um I'm no expert on cpu architecture but it's possible. And your car analogy is hardly apples to apples anyway.

7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Im no expert either...how is it possible though? You are welcome to elaborate instead of just shooting down my opinion. :)

Pot Calling the Kettle Black... Here goes my take:

OTHER changes would need to be made outside of removing the iGPU in order for speed increases to happen no? The ONLY thing I can think of is maybe less latency as data doesnt have to go through that 'hardware' to process? No clue. It just doesnt make sense that if the iGPU is gone that the performance increases JUST because that isnt on die. Its a completely unrelated part to computing performance (that doesnt use the iGPU of course like Lucid tech) such as FPU and integer performance, just as the navigation being in your car or not will not make it go faster as it has nothing to do with the motor, aero etc....

Logically thinking if I use my PCIe GPU instead it would be faster... Its not.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Ivy Bridge will be the "hot one" not as in temps of course. It will be the die shrink on Sandy Bridge so quite the opposite, should run cooler and "maybe" even lower wattage than the current Sandy Bridges already impressive 95W. The other question mark I guess on Ivy Bridge is the possibility of PCI-E 3.0

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ivy bridge 1155 should be more that compatible with having a 6core. The only reason I see them not doing it would be to keep it in the 2011 socket lineup so you HAVE to buy a 2011 to get a 6core

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Z68 series require IB to have PCIe3 I thought... So that is on the CPU.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  11. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Such sounds like a typical marketing decision, especially from the likes of Intel. Especially right now with not-so-great competition.

12. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    ?

Help me to understand the insanity.

1) Ivy Bridge has been rumored to eventually get a 6 core. SB-e has also been rumored to get an 8 core. These are both rumors. The only substantiation to either of them is that we, presumably, aren't working for Intel with a road map in front of us. Playing the wait and see game in the technology sector only leads to disappointment.
    2) Ivy Bridge boards all seem to have PCI-e 3.0 for the graphics cards. Same quantity of lanes as the SB incarnation, but one revision (thus, double bandwidth) better. If you look at the boards releasing on the Z77 chipset you can glean this as a fact.
    3) Why? No games use 6 cores. Very few programs use 6 cores. Having more cores is not better. This may be painful, but e-peen is detrimental to the pocket book.
    4) Biggest point, IB is a die shrink. SB without an IGP may include more transistors, or feature better overclocking due to better heat dissipation. What it will not feature is a dramatic architectural change, which means that it has no chance of increasing the instructions per cycle. No change in IPS means very little change in processor power.

So yes, purchase a Z77 motherboard in the coming months. Yes, look forward to the IB processors coming out in the very near future. No, do not believe that IB on the 1155 socket will feature 6 cores in the near future. Finally, yes you should assume the 1155 socket will be with us for at least another year or two.

Edit: I know SB-e has eight cores, with two laser cut. Two entirely useless cores aren't the same as having an 8 core processor.

13. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, IB is not just SB die shrink. It uses the new 3d transistors. So we will see what comes from that. Also, Sandy Bridge Xeon processors already have 8 working cores. And i am fairly confident that IB will get 6 cores in about a year.

14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty sure that if you don't use the SB/IB ondie gpu it gets power gated therefore there is no risk of increased heat output.
    You should expect a slightly increase in IPC because Intel is refining the architecture yet not as much as the IGP is getting overhauled/improved, in fact they are using the space gained to pack more IGP enhancements ondie, the space for a 6 cores is there but they won't give you 6 cores because of the market segmentation that Intel is pulling on the market with LGA2011 and LGA1155 sockets.
    Also Ivy Bridge is more targeted to power consumption refining, they are lowering the TDPs across the line and improving performance per Watt will help them to get an edge on mobile computing thus the strong focus on the IGP, it needs to perform as strong as AMD offering.

This calls for an interesting reading
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5174/why-ivy-bridge-is-still-quad-core

15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    April 8 is Ivy Bridge day.

16. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't bet on this, because they would interfere with LGA2011 offering and they don't want to kill the already hard to conceive platform that 2011 is.

17. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Actually it would, less weight.

Anyways, a few boards I have recently gotten say on them 22nm ready, I'm guessing that means there was at least rumor of Intel releasing another line of cpu's for the socket.

18. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Oh please Niko. 30lbs for a navi unit (was in my acura). Its like .1 second for every 100lbs or something if I remember my ricer days correctly. So that can be offset by a poor shift, bad start, air temperature, altitude differences...etc. You get the point though...

Still waiting for Wrigley........................................yawn....................... :)

19. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    having an igpu greatly affects the TDP of the cores , the core only package should clock higher due to having only its own heat ouput to deal with though obv at stock they will be similar allowing for optimisations .

and i cant see anything new or different coming from intel untill Ivybridge anyway, maybe up clocked a bit chips but their a bit Meh if ya OC past 4Ghz anyway

More than 25k PPD
  20. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I like that.

21. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I took that post ("it will perform better") as more of an IPC thing than overclocking potential. However, disabling the iGPU or using a PCIe GPU accomplishes the same thing on most boards, so I dont think thats it. :confused:

22. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    lets hope these sockets stay around until 2013... The last ones barely hit a year!

23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    some would say manufacturing nervana that, but they'd be intel reps starein intel fan boys in the eye and laughin.:p

More than 25k PPD
  24. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    The tock, in Intel's language, based on 22nm (aka Haswell) will probably require a new socket.
    Keeping the same pin count and pin layout may restrict you in architecture planning I think, so they'll probably arrange them in a different way

25. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ivy Bridge is socket 1155, so yes it's logical that Intel is releasing more CPU's for socket 1155.

overclocking101 says thanks.