1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Haswell Core i7-4790K vs. i7-4770K Comparison

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by MSnyder, Aug 6, 2014.

1. trog69

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to know that as well. I've had this i7-2600k @4.4ghz for as long as I've owned it, and I get the same or better frame rates in games as my friend's 4770k with the same GPUs. I'm still waiting to see a reason to upgrade from this chip.

2. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    it depends on app but probably "about" 15-20% with it being more towards 15% avg .

that is for same clock speed on each , as 2xxx tend to OC a bit higher verse IB and Haswell

3. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    how is it a disappointment , its a re-release of basically same chip but clocked higher for same price .

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    There really is no reason yet. A wise old goat showed me how to OC my chip a year ago and I have been stable at 4.5 ever since.

However I'm older now then when I first started PC gaming and I now ask myself, why. Why upgrade? What games justify upgrading? For me I've all but stopped playing games. I used to game to hang out with a group of TPU guys on TS. Now TS is all but dead expect for a few hardliners. The fun for me was crap talking and laughing at jokes. The games themselves are pretty boring nowadays. Top that off with all the micro transaction crap and well. Screw it. So unless you have some super high end card and are running multiple monitors at 4k to play a console port or you bench, stick with what you got.

5. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Says the amd guy lol..
    I have my own opinion on the 4790k vs the 4770k.. I've owned both and unless the reviewer used an odd paste his temps are way off compared to my testing. There is a huge drop in temps with DC compared to the 4770k. For a short review Its ok, but I'm more used to Dave's in depth reviews.. The DC chip yes is the same as the 4770k but its so different. Start messing with more voltages then the cpu vcore and you'll see what I'm talking about. I've been giving my tests to the true guru aka @cadaveca and we agree there's more to this chip then most think. I have a golden chip and maybe that's the reason but take 4770k and all there voltages and compare it to DC and it'll make you turn your head sideways saying wtf... 4.9ghz 24/7 is a breeze... 4.6ghz 24/7 @ 1.125 ;)

6. Ferrum Master

Ferrum Master

Thanks Received:
    And I agree with him ;)

We are bored... really...

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    I hear cricket chirps for this unit lol.

8. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Well that's good let them chirp.. Best move for me was dumping that hot ass 4770k for a DC chip.. Sure beats the hell outa those so called 8 core steam roller chips lol.

But really I think the reviewer is lacking some info on these as IMO this review is more less a copy and paste of other reviews.. Just pointing it out that all other reviews are the same shit.. Bump the multi and set the vcore.. How about some real testing of cache and tweaking other voltages.

Another thing, why not get a DC if you already have a 4770k? Honestly look at how much cooler they run. At 4.9ghz with 1.40v I only see a max temp of 72-74c on the hottest core while running any stress test. All the retail 4770k's out there now just suck.
    It kinda bothers me that in reviews either the reviewer don't know what he or she is doing and they just give a meh score on the cpu. All I can say is by buying the DC your guaranteed a 4.4ghz clock speed at way less volts and a lot less heat.. I do say the reviewer messed up by saying there is little difference between the two CPUs.. Been there and done it. I just wish a reviewer would spend a month testing before publishing such results as Dave does. I'm babbling so forgive me lol, IMA going to be crunching tomorrow for a few days at 4.9 GHz so if anybody calls bs on me I'll be so happy to post temps and whatever else.. DC rock on baby!

revin says thanks.
  9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Not knockin ya. Post your temps anyway

10. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    I'm working on the road but will tomorrow for sure.. Pm me if I forget and I'll post

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I have some chips, temps are decent, like 75c loaded at locks and voltages that would have 4770K overheat. And for me, 4790K clocks with far lower voltage than 4770K.

But...not much better than a REALLY GOOD 4770K. Like, it's still the same silicon, but improved PCB for power delivery, better IHS metal, and better binning. Yet, even Intel admitted that 4790K would only be the best of whatever they had when the batch was made, while they were trying to pull PCUs form the same "source" so that they would be as consistent as possible. However, it's still silicon, so quality is varied. It's unavoidable.

12. gamingoodz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually just bought a 4790K instead of waiting for Haswell-E.. I hope I didn't make a mistake.. But I can't afford the prices that have been speculated for the Haswell-E I was lucky to afford the 4790K. I was using an i7-950 Bloomfield. I feel torn as If maybe I should have tried to find more money somehow and waited for the Haswell-E or If I made the right decision. I like to think that I made the right decision, at least I hope I did.

I plan on hopefully upgrading again when Skylake comes out. But who knows. Someone put my mind at ease and reassure me that I made the right decision on my budget lol.

13. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    You made the right choice ;)
    What's your clocks like?

14. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    From your profile name, if you were looking to buy for gaming you made the right choice.

15. gamingoodz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't actually got to really test much yet I just installed everything 2 days ago and between being busy and installing software and updates I really didn't get to mess around with it much. I doubt I will overclock it right away , I usually overclock as time goes on to pull me through and get that little bit of extra power until I can afford the newer CPU's. I think I might pull the Cooler off though and reapply my thermal paste as my temps are not quite as low as I would like. I think I actually used to little thermal paste, the hyper 212 evo has those small gaps between the heat pipes which suck up some of the paste and I didn't take that into account so I think I used to little paste to get good coverage.

Yes Pc gaming is the main focus of my computer but I do use it for everything I do since its my only desktop computer. I also do some video editing but its gaming videos for my website and youtube channel. Well I "did" do some video editing for them I have since quit uploading videos because it was just taking to much time compounded by the amount of time it took to encode video on my i7-950 bloomfield. With this 4790K though I might start creating more gaming videos now that my encoding times should be significantly shorter. I know the Haswell-E would be more suited to video editing atleast I would imagine it would be but video editing is only a small percentage of what I do on my computer with the main percentage being PC gaming.

Thanks for the replies I'm glad that I made the rite decision and can feel better about it now lol.

16. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    @cadaveca , and @fullinfusion, Is there some Core Current Limit adjustment to use ?
    Can you guy's try XTU 2.1 [newer version's wouldn't give ME more than basic adjustment's.
    That was the key we came across with you Dave ,when I was trying to get my 2600K OC.
    Low and behold, all voltage's stock except undervolt on the Sammy mem.
    But at any rate, just bumping the CCL to 110A from 97A was all it took.
    AND on a MB that too many said "wont OC worth a damn".
    BS, it's been like this for years now. And still on the modded Skt 478 Ninja cooler !
    I think there's alot in DC,
    If they can make DC work on the DZ87KLT-75K, I'd be all over those two like,like well you know
    [​IMG]

17. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Here Im testing as we speak, look at my settings.

[​IMG]

revin says thanks.
  18. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    @MSnyder It's obvious you ran 4.8ghz so what voltage did you use to test?

Your 4.9GHz OC @ 1.34v was just a boot voltage right and wasnt test stable?

19. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    I see 5 Ghz coming around again !!!!!

fullinfusion says thanks.
  20. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Some weird numbers by Cinebench 11.5

I get 10.39 @ 4.7ghz
    cinebench 11.5 4.7ghz ram 2400.jpg

21. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Windows update lol... I sware that's it as 4.8 I'm getting 10.62-65

22. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    I see you use cache @ 40x butr with a wooping 1.28v? Do you really need that much? Im now at 4.4ghz cache @ 1.185v (auto overvolts to 1.22v) and its enough.

4.2ghz @ 1.140v (auto overvolts to 1.18v)

Yeah that number looks more on track.

Btw I posted @ Haswell thread about LLC :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  23. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    @TheHunter the board gives the cache that much voltage on its own. It all depends what the cpu voltage is. If the vcore is set higher the cache automatically goes up.. Even if I lock it at say 1.20v in the bios it sets itself higher, way higher so I don't know.. Like I said I'm going for a z97 and hopefully that's the fix it solution.. Unless Asus puts a new bios out for my mfvi board to address this I'm totally clued out on it atm

24. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:

Have you tried monitoring it with Aida64 or hwinfo64 too? If you set total adaptive (Additional Turbo mode cpu cache voltage) to idk 1.15v it should stay there, ok with few volts more 0.04- 0.06v overvoltage max when @ max load.

25. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    No I haven't played with the adaptive because that's all new to me. And I'll have to use that tool and watch what volts do. I know I'm going to try changing the cpu strap from 100 to 125mhz and up from there when I find out how the chip reacts to the lower multi and higher strap

Remember I went from a 3770k to a 4770k and only tested for maybe 20hrs till I got the DC chip.. Way different then the 3770k voltage and setting wise lol