1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Haswell-EP Platform Detailed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by T4C Fantasy, Jun 26, 2012.

1. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    SB-E was supposed to be 8 cores...but we got 6. This stuff is too far out from release to be of any real consequence at this point. Show me retail chips. THose slides say greater than or equal to 10 cores.:roll: Great. so ideally...we already know these ideals.

radrok says thanks.
  3. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Nice to know but untill someone does a preview with benchmarks its meh

4. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'm so angry at Intel, they could've made an 8 core X chip instead of a 3MB cache ripoff that isn't worth getting because it is not even binned.
    Who the hell cares if the envelope could have been 150w or greater? We have watercooling for that :mad:

nleksan says thanks.
  5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Need.. more.. info.... and benchies..

6. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    There's only a handful of applications, if that, at the consumer level that utilize 8+ cores. Not everyone wants to do watercooling to keep temps at a reasonable level no matter how high-end a processor is.
    With that being said, I say screw the extra cores, give me more IPC with efficiency!!!!

7. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    If you are not willing to watercool it then just don't buy it and buy something that is on a manageable thermal envelope for your cooling capability, but saying they shouldn't sell one because you or someone else doesn't want to go water cooling makes no sense.

8. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Your misunderstanding what I wrote. I never said they shouldn't sell high wattage/TDP CPUs. I meant that if a CPU puts out enough heat for it to warrant aftermarket cooling or watercooling to operate at the stock frequency it was given, then that is unacceptable and should NOT be released until further improvements are made to make it more efficient.
    The percentage of people who use watercooling or other forms of more extreme cooling are the minority, that is fact. People who don't know any better will use stock cooling....THAT is the majority. From a business standpoint, if all high-performing CPUs required you to use watercooling to get manageable temps, I guarantee Intel/AMD would have excess inventory of those CPUs just because most people don't want to go through the hassle of maintaining a watercooling setup.