1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Haswell-EX Enterprise Processors To Introduce DDR4 Memory

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    I swear. The best purchase people could have ever made were

C2Q Q6600 right after it's price drop
    8800GT
    4GB RAM

and all

and upgraded to HD5870 when it came out, that's it. No need to upgrade again till DX12 or atleast till next generation consoles come out!
  2. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isnt gddr5 4x transfer rate instead of double transfer rate?
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The DDR in GDDR5 stands for "double data rate." This doesn't change since both edges of the clock are used to drive data.
  4. P-40E

Thanks Received:
    Well haswell has been out awhile and it's 2014 were is DDR4? LOL They should just go DDR5 since we already have it in our GPU's. And that's what will happen, For marketing they will probably hype DDR4 get people to upgrade then six months later announce the release of DDR5 and make more money. I don't really think DDR4 will really make much of a difference anyway VS higher speed DDR3, In benchmarks and real world gaming you see no difference in 1333mhz vs 1600mhz or 2133mhz and so on. So why would DDR4 change anything? You only need fast ram on your GPU. So the only thing DDR4 will be good for is APU processors like AMD's Kaveri. So if they start going APU which is what I suspect AMD is up to. The fast ram will be important. But I hope AMD does not turn there backs on making GPU's and regular CPU's Because I like the low prices from the AMD/Nvidia wars, And Intel/AMD wars. And I will always choose a CPU/GPU configuration over APU. Unless they really come out with a fast efficient APU that can be upgraded and is faster or as fast as a i5/GTX780 combo. And be a decent amount cheaper, Then I will consider a APU.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    GDDR5 is just a revision of DDR3 designed for GPUs. DDR5 isn't a thing yet.

Also, this thread was over 2 years old. There are much newer Haswell-E and DDR4 articles than this to reply to.