1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel HD 4000 Not using Max CORE Clock

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by AphexDreamer, Aug 26, 2013.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I have an Asus Vivobook q200 with Intel Graphics HD 4000 that runs on idle 350Mhz and is supposed to hit 1000mhz max when being used.

Now I have checked all my power options and the Intel Graphics properties and both are set to Max Performance and yet when running fur mark and monitoring with GPuz the core clock spikes to a quick 1000mhz and then goes back down to 350mhz and stays there. Using the Intel Extreme tuning utility to test it further it too has a similar behavior. It spikes to 998mhz and then goes back down to 350mhz then it may or may not spike back up to 998mhz where it then falls down to 350mhz.

I don't know what I could be missing. I've uninstalled the Asus power4gear and again made sure that the high performance option is selected for the windows power management through the advance settings.

[​IMG]

2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    So its just how the chip works given its TDP limitations? It still doesn't cover why the i5 fluctuates more frequently versus the i7 and upon further analysis of my i3, it is fluctuating even more than the i5 but in a similar manner, in that it will go from stock to half the max but never really going to its full potential.

He also doesn't cover anyway to force it to its max, but I take it there just isn't a way. I wonder if I increase the max Wattage using the Intel Extreme tuning utility if that will allow it to max out more often. I will also try Valley.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    In that test the i7 is a standard mobile chip with a 45w TDP while the i5 is an Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) with 17w TDP.

You can make sure the TDP setting under Thermal Management is set to the highest value, but its unlikely you will be able to max the GPU out constantly.

Let us know what happens.

AphexDreamer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I increased the Turbo Boost Power max from 13W to 20W, Turbo boost short Power Max from 17W to 25W, Turbo Boost power Time Window to .0001xx and saw my max min and avg frames go up and thought I was effecting performance manually so then I increased the TBPM to 25W, the TBSPM to 30W and further lowered the TBPTW and saw frames go down.

I'm not all to familer with intel and as such, I don't even know what they all do but its the only things I have control over.

In the end it just seems that you get higher frames only when Intel's throttling decides to use higher clocks and if it doesn't, you just get lower frames. Which is just plain lame...