1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel i3 3220 22nm power/TDP/Hyperthreading?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hdbjhn, Dec 4, 2012.

1. hdbjhn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well,question is simple,
    Intel i3 3220(22nm) consumes a maximum of 55 watt as stated in intel's website.
    Can i know if that power consumption includes the power consumption of it's IGP(Intel HD) or not.

And another thing,does the 55watt power consumption (max consumption) is when the cpu working at it's maximum frequency(3.3Ghz) or when it's hyperthreading and real core are 100% load
    OR
    both=(all 2 core+2hyperthread CORE 100% LOAD)+(FREQUENCY AT MAXIMUM)

So,guys thanks for the helpls.
    But please be clear and detailed on replying.
    If need more information,just ask.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    only 100% load will get power consumption near TDP.

BTW, Intel's website states ,TDP, not power consumption. TDP = cooling needed, technically CPU could consume more than TDP. Not likely with today's chip, unless using a "K" and OC'ing, of course, but whatever.

my 3700K at stock pulls a max of 50W. TDP is 77W.
    hdbjhn says thanks.
  3. hdbjhn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well,i learned sum thing new today,tat tdp isn't power consumption.
    Nother 1,u know answer 4 second question.:D:D

Simply put here is what i'm am thinking:games requires ENOUGH number of core and higher FREQUENCIES will give more fps more efficiently.(or simply higher freq. per core)
    So,i do know that hyperthreading give more heat.So,i just assumed that when chip is consuming max power it's capable,it is either operating at highest frequency but with only real cores(without hyperthreading)
    OR lower frequency but hyperthreaded where performance is substituted by hyperthreads instead of having higher frequency.So,with this way cpu's power comsumption and performance is maintained BUT it's acts according to environment, that is whether multitasking or gaming/single threads. This is wat i assumed,is this right???:shadedshu:shadedshu

Thus i want to know should i turn off hyperthreading in bios for gaming purposes.
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    No, don't turn off Hyperthreading. The i3 doesn't have turbo boost, so the cores will operate at full speed the entire time. Most games won't use the extra two threads, but some might.
    hdbjhn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:

Yup, the 3220 is not a great performing CPU anyhow. Why disable hyperthreading? It is not like the CPU runs that hot.
    hdbjhn says thanks.
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    But the 3220 comes close to beating a AMD 6 core 1100T in gaming so that seems like its a pretty good performer
    hdbjhn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Technically the cores will still change frequency below the max via SpeedStep, idle states, etc :D
    hdbjhn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    :rolleyes:

You know what I mean. So long as it doesn't go hot that it throttles (and it sure shouldn't) it's not like speed will vary during gaming ;)
    hdbjhn says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    i3 is still better than my old e8400 clock-for-clock.. I guess they don't OC well at all?
    hdbjhn says thanks.
  10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Nope.. as it is bclk limited. So you would have bclk (105ish) + turbo multi. BUT, since it doesnt have turbo, its bclk*33 only.

If there was a "K" version, it would overclock just like its K brothers.

Some games perform worse with HT... though that is true with the quads, not sure if that 'trickles down'.
    hdbjhn says thanks.
  11. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:

1100T is a discontinued CPU and RIP. What's your point? The A10-5800K stands up to the 3220K and beats it in a majority of benchmarks and is cheaper.
    hdbjhn says thanks.
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Just playing with you, ofc :laugh:
    [Ion] and hdbjhn say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If they made a K i3 even i would consider going intel again.
    hdbjhn says thanks.
  14. hdbjhn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well,guys really happy i made thread successfully with my answers needed.Much appreciated.

So,why sum thing i3 not good enough for gaming.why so??? are there anything better out there for same price.

55watt with my cooler master hyper evo,will run cool though i'm not doing OC.It's really hot in my place ambient temps. are like 34-35.So,amd 32nm with it's igp,won't be running happy,right??

Performance wise,i think it should be good enough.
    My old setup with c2d e4600 2.4ghz (passmark 1400) with gt 240 on 1440by900 monitor ,i can play any games at good fps though many modern games played on just medium settings.This i3 have 4000+ passmark,should be good a lot.:wtf::wtf:
  15. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i3 2100 user here, got it more than a year ago with a Z68 as a startup CPU to change to 2500K down the road, but kept it longer instead as i was surprised by its performance (coming from an old X2 5200+ overclocked). Imo its good for its intended price segment (going head to head with Phenom II X4's even overclocked gaming wise). Even does well with CPU heavy and multithreaded ones.

As for Hyper Threading: don't turn it off. I tested several games with it and apps and HT can really help (specially for recent OS such as Windows 7, and AVX is supported when you install SP1)

Sadly (but not surprisingly) games recently are going more sensitive on real multi cores, thats why im on a look out for a 2500K/3570K (in which i was supposed to do few months ago lol)
    [Ion] and hdbjhn say thanks.