1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Officially Begins Shipping Dual-Core Atom Processors

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 20, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel has officially begun shipping a 45nm dual-core Intel Atom Processor known as the Intel Atom Processor 330. The newest member of the Atom family is designed specifically for nettops, which are affordable desktops purpose-built primarily for web surfing, email, and basic Internet usage. The dual-core Intel Atom Processor 330 features a 1.6GHz processing core, 1MB of level 2 cache, an 8W TDP and support for DDR2 667. The new processor is available as an integrated package and has been validated with the Intel 945GC Express Chipset, featuring built-in Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and Intel High Definition Audio.

[​IMG]

Source: Intel

1c3d0g says thanks.
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I want to see how this stacks up to the older Pentium Ms and such.

1c3d0g says thanks.
  3. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    any word on pricing?

4. insider Guest

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Whats so good about it i all ready surf the web with 7-8w CPU usage. Maybe i am missing something and some body be nice to tell me ? lol.

According to ASUS when using AI Gear 3 it will clock down the CPU to 1199FSB and Multi to 6 which with my cpu ends up around 1.8Ghz.

6. insider Guest

That's Asus marketing BS, the lowest power consumption you could probably manage on the entire system (bar the display) with a desktop CPU and standard ATX motherboard is around 50W~ idle only with integrated graphics, without using only an IGP on the board no chance.

7. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Dual Core Atom is an embedded processor, it's not something that you buy as a part, but in the form of motherboards with the processor embedded, so pricing depends on the price of the motherboard. Here's a review of the processor featuring on a ECS-made board: http://www.guru3d.com/article/ecs-atom-330-dual-core-p945gc-review/

Waldoinsc says thanks.
  8. insider Guest

What really sucks about this platform is the outdated IGP/chipset that is not power efficient, it's eating away all the low power gains archived by the Atom chip, this is just another lazy bolt on job by the Intel mobo/chipset team instead of designing a proper power efficient IGP/chipset platform.

I don't really get why they include just a VGA interface when DVI is the norm, just include a DVI>VGA adapter.

9. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    This doesn't really excite me too much. Am I missing something? :confused:

10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Nice.

Been talking at work about getting a couple Asus Eee Box's for testing with the software we use. The included VESA adapter means clean and neat workstations that are easily deployable.

Was waiting on getting some of the linux versions anyway, maybe a wait a little more for DC models.

11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    just fyi o those complaining about 945GC there are some (MSI windbook) that use the newer chipsets that run the intel X3100 graphics etc

12. insider Guest

The MSI Wind uses the same Intel 945GSE+ICH7M as the rest of the netbooks unless there is a newer model due out.

13. swaaye

Thanks Received:
    It's too bad that it's not a native dual core. It's made in the Pentium D style, with 2 Atom cores side by side on the package. Means that there's no shared cache that works out really nice in Core / Core 2. That shared cache is very nice when most apps are single threaded and all of the CPU's cache can go to one core.

I wonder when the Poulsbo chipset that was initially shown with Atom is supposed to come out.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3276&p=16

14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Erm ok....why against Pentium M's in particular? These bitches are duel to the core mofo. no pentium M gonna come anywhere close unless its clocked faster then george bush going down a water slide (which is pretty fast) so unless i see blonde spiked hair & a flaming yellow aura glowing around this pentium M Im gonna go & drink my tea......

Id say - it would be better if said early Core Duo Yonah/Merom Vs. Atom

15. hutt New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    You are probably right about the comparison. I still want to see how they compare. Cannot wait for benchies!

17. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    uuuh... iirc the Atom is slower than the ULV Celerons in some tasks.... Its not exactly a fast CPU.

18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    its going to be as fast as 2 P3s put together

19. ascstinger

ascstinger New Member

Thanks Received:
    it will be intresting to see the dual core up next to a Pentium M 1.6, especially since I own one in an itx board. The Singlecore Atom 1.6 was about on par with a 1.2ghz Celeron M. If only the new dual-core (and the singlecore as well) wasnt burdened with the rather hot and power-consuming 945gc chipset, itd be the perfect low power itx solution, even if it took a bit of a speed hit to my Pentium M. As with the core2duo compared to the pentium D, Ill probably be waiting until intel can combine the cores onto a single die for superior efficency (and hopefully by then designed a chipset for the purpose of the board)

20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

By the 1st post it sound like there on about the CPU on it's own takes 8w.

A pic just for the fun of it.
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18491&stc=1&d=1221977804

Attached Files:

21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    396.360333.x10-^3 killowatt hours? I guess they want people to think "OMG thats like 400x10 killowatt hours!" When it really means .4(rounded) killowat hours. And whats with almost a quarter of a million mg reduced carbon emissions?

My processor runs at 2998927360 hertz (2860MHz). That program is retarded.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Waldoinsc

Thanks Received:
    Shows I haven't been staying current...on the road too much with work. Thanks again for the update.

23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't really

care what you think if it's retarded or not. The point was the CPU is running around 7-8 watts

24. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well remember, in mobile applications, every watt counts.