• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel or AMD CPU?

Gibrril

Hi,

Upon researching which CPU to use for my new system, it turns out that Intel can "only" offer an 8-Core CPU, while AMD can offer 16-Core technology. However, it would seem that somehow Intel's hardware is more powerfull. If I check system requirements for various software suites, they mention Intel i5 (which is a quad-core) or an AMD 8-core as recommended... What can explain this difference?
Does this hold true for Server CPU's aswell?
As I've said, AMD can offer 16 core CPU's, Intel (as far as I've found) is limited to 8 cores.
I'm planning on using my system for 3D graphics creation, music production and gaming.
So, which CPU should I use?

Thanks a lot for your feedback,
Gibrril

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Upon researching which CPU to use for my new system, it turns out that Intel can "only" offer an 8-Core CPU,

More Research needed you missed the Xeon range of CPU's

If you Go Intel Xeon you can have both Power and even more cores

Such as Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2699 v3
(45M Cache, 2.30 GHz) 18 core's

check out the intel Xeon range

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Intel Xeon processors go all the way up to 18 cores and 36 threads, on dual socket boards you can use up to 72 threads, dunno if your video editing software will scale linearly with so many threads, but, yeah, from a sheer IPC point of view, you'll get more performance from Intel almost guaranteed

Upon researching which CPU to use for my new system, it turns out that Intel can "only" offer an 8-Core CPU, while AMD can offer 16-Core technology.
AMD markets its CPUs as "xx-core", which should rather mean "xx threads". An AMD "16-core" is the same as an Intel 8-core with Hyper-threading. Clever way of marketing.
More Research needed you missed the Xeon range of CPU's

If you Go Intel Xeon you can have both Power and even more cores

Such as Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2699 v3
(45M Cache, 2.30 GHz) 18 core's
-drool- You picked a nice one, there... :cool: 18 cores / 36 threads. So, if it was an AMD, it would probably be marketed as a "36-core" ! ;)
@Gibrril , I'd recommend an Intel CPU, perhaps a modern i7 would be your best choice. They have very decent power and - up to 16 threads ("cores") :)

Last edited:

dorsetknob

the one i illustrated with has 18 core's + Hyper threading

Thats 18 Core's + 18 virtual Cores total = 36 core's as seen by your O/S

dorsetknob

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
ebay, whether you like it or not, is a good source for reasonably priced 2nd user Xeon chips. well worth a look if its threads you are after for 3D graphics creation and music production.

Hyper-Threading Technology
Hyper-Threading technology creates two virtual processing cores for each physical core present in a CPU. The physical core powers the virtual cores, which then share the responsibility of task processing. Each virtual core is identical to the other, and though neither is as powerful as the physical core, together they far exceed the physical core's power when HT isn't enabled. The use of these virtual cores enables the CPU to delegate tasks between cores in real time.

Advantages of Hyper-Threading
The workload created by a CPU-intensive operation, such as running two demanding programs at the same time -- an operation that would slow down a single, physical core regardless of its raw power -- is split between the virtual cores in a processor that utilizes HT technology. With two virtual cores tackling tasks at the same time, processing times are shorter, programs open faster and your computer will stay more responsive during multi-tasking. In a nutshell, Hyper-Threading increases processing efficiency.

I stand to be corrected but i think that it is not necessary to have more than 4 cores or threads for gaming at present, though as ever this will no doubt change.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

I'm planning on using my system for 3D graphics creation, music production and gaming.

with the OP saying the above
More core's should be better for his intended use
In the end it will all come down to budget

Gibrril

Thanks a lot,

How do I tell virtual cores (threads) from real cores? There are Xeon CPU's with 20 cores and more... Are these actual cores or threads?
Also I found Xeon CPUs with ten and twelve cores and Ghz that is virtually identical to the i7 haswell extreme, yet these Xeon are significantly cheaper... So what (combinations of) specifications do I realy need to look for when deciding on a CPU?

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
the specs of the chip will tell you how many cores it has, if it has hyperthreading enabled the number of physical cores is doubled.

http://ark.intel.com/products/47925/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5620-12M-Cache-2_40-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI

here is a link to the Xeon chip i have, it has 4 physical cores, with hyperthreading this becomes 8 threads, in essence (though not identical to ) 8 physical cores.

Passmark is useful for comparing cpus
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.40GHz

Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.40GHz + CompareAverage CPU Mark
Description: Socket: LGA1366, Clockspeed: 2.4 GHz, Turbo Speed: 2.7 GHz, No of Cores: 4 (2 logical cores per physical), Max TDP: 80 W
Other names: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
CPU First Seen on Charts: Q2 2010
CPUmark/$Price: 45.11 Overall Rank: 333
Last Price Change: $109.23 USD (2010-07-05)4927

Single Thread Rating: 1065
Samples: 47

Like has been mentioned before, you need to decide how much you are willing to spend.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Seems like the main point was missed, the question asked in the OP.
Because intel CPU's are faster per core, and not all programs can use the extra cores.

If a game/program uses 2 cores, it doesnt matter if you have an intel quad core Vs. an AMD 32 core - all that matters is how fast those first two cores are.
At present, this is how most games and programs behave. With the exception of video rendering, we're just seeing quad cores truly being utilised now.

I dropped from an AMD 6 core (1090T) to an i5-2400 and had massive performance gains in games, because as far as those games were concerned the extra cores simply didn't exist.

DirectX12 coming out later this year may shift the focus to more threads, but no one is quite sure on that yet.

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
ebay, whether you like it or not, is a good source for reasonably priced 2nd user Xeon chips. well worth a look if its threads you are after for 3D graphics creation and music production.

Hyper-Threading Technology
Hyper-Threading technology creates two virtual processing cores for each physical core present in a CPU. The physical core powers the virtual cores, which then share the responsibility of task processing. Each virtual core is identical to the other, and though neither is as powerful as the physical core, together they far exceed the physical core's power when HT isn't enabled. The use of these virtual cores enables the CPU to delegate tasks between cores in real time.

Advantages of Hyper-Threading
The workload created by a CPU-intensive operation, such as running two demanding programs at the same time -- an operation that would slow down a single, physical core regardless of its raw power -- is split between the virtual cores in a processor that utilizes HT technology. With two virtual cores tackling tasks at the same time, processing times are shorter, programs open faster and your computer will stay more responsive during multi-tasking. In a nutshell, Hyper-Threading increases processing efficiency.

I stand to be corrected but i think that it is not necessary to have more than 4 cores or threads for gaming at present, though as ever this will no doubt change.
6 Cores ;) (follows what's available in consoles for gaming as I have heard)

Seems like the main point was missed, the question asked in the OP.
Because intel CPU's are faster per core, and not all programs can use the extra cores.
If a game/program uses 2 cores, it doesnt matter if you have an intel quad core Vs. an AMD 32 core - all that matters is how fast those first two cores are.
At present, this is how most games and programs behave. With the exception of video rendering, we're just seeing quad cores truly being utilised now.
I dropped from an AMD 6 core (1090T) to an i5-2400 and had massive performance gains in games, because as far as those games were concerned the extra cores simply didn't exist.
DirectX12 coming out later this year may shift the focus to more threads, but no one is quite sure on that yet.

Hope so :( PC gaming needs more love :clap:

***Off Topic***
Epic Profile Picture :toast:

dorsetknob

***Off Topic***
Epic Profile Picture :toast:

Why is this off topic i linked to his thread as an example of what was available on this site
Keep an eye on the Buy / sell /trade thread you can sometimes find Xeon's for sale there such as for example

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/xeon-e5-2660-8-cores-16-threads-lga-2011-450.210799/

Remember that this is an example and not necessarily a recommendation to Buy

@TheDarkLord was kind enough to inform people that the CPU i linked to was Sold