1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel P965, Microsoft Vista to Boost Adoption of SATA Optical Drives

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 28, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel's P965 chipset and Microsoft's Vista operating system are expected to speed up adoption of SATA and displace ATAPI as the mainstream interface standard for optical drives in the second half of 2007, according to optical disc drive(ODD) manufacturers in Taiwan. Following LG, Plextor, Sony and Taiwan-based Asustek, Pioneer and Panasonic as well as Taiwan-based Lite-On IT will soon offer DVD-ROM drives or DVD burners equipped with SATA interfaces. Because retail prices of SATA DVD drives or burners are 20-30% higher than those for ATAPI models with the same functions, many OEM/ODM clients have not adopted SATA for the time being. ATAPI is expected to remain as the mainstream standard in the first half of 2007, but Intel's P965 chipset and Vista are expected to increase the proportion of DVD drives using SATA in the second half of 2007.

Source: DigiTimes

2. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good. It's a lot easier to neatly wire a SATA cable than an IDE cable.

3. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    yes but your paying 20-30% more for just a different cable and on higher costing drives thats a lot for a cable :shadedshu

4. kakazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    How exactly does Vista increase the proportion of DVD drives using SATA? Chipsets/Motherboards I get. They only got one IDE channel for two IDE devices and will sooner or later have no IDE channel anymore. But how an OS makes a diffence, I dunno.

Also, SATA cables are not as good for cable management than good old IDE Origami. 90° turn to the left/right? No problem. 180°? Sure, why not.
    I do know that SATA is thinner and everything, but not as easy to manage imo. Also without 90° SATA cables it still looks very... 'dirty' when you connect like 4 HDDs. 90° turned SATA plugs change that however.

5. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    my samsung sh-w163a is sata,i only got it to get rid of the ide cables from my machine.it dont seem to be any faster tho',just looks neater.

6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    From what I understand, most CD and DVD drives run on ATA-33. SATA on optical drives can look better, but there definitely is no point in burning a CD at a maximum of 6 or 7 MB/s (DVDs running about 20 MB/s) on a 1.5 or 3.0GB/s bus. It would be like driving a Geo Metro on the Autobahn. Pointless.

And kakazza is 100% right. Anyone who's willing to devote 5 minutes to the design of their case can make their cabling look very clean, if not better than SATA. The only reason why I'd choose a SATA drive over a PATA one is for UV cables. Rounded UV PATA cables suck.

Until motherboards ditch PATA or SATA drives start getting cheap (and have tons of headers on the motherboard), I'm sticking with the tried-and-true method.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The real reason i think, is that other operating systems dont always like SATA. Try installing XP on older mobos under XP and you need to use the F6 floppy drivers... and most systems now dont have floppies.

It's basically a crap situation, but since vista is nicer and can read off a flash drive or whatever, it should be easier to use all SATA devices on.