1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Pentium 4 era 865/848 chipset Ethernet problems

Discussion in 'General Software' started by newconroer, Aug 21, 2013.

1. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Got an aged Acer Veritas 5600G computer with XP SP3, that I picked up in a garage sale. Was working fine for several months then got a corrupted Windows and thus I reinstalled. However while all other aspects work and each device in Device Manager are accounted for, I have an unknown Ethernet device giving me network installation problems.

According to CPUZ the board is using an Intel 865/848 chipset. I checked Intel's website and all those models within that era/range used the LAN: IntelĀ® PRO Network Connections LAN Driver found here which lists all compatible motherboards https://downloadcenter.intel.com/De...&OSFullname=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

Unfortunately when I used this I get an error saying that I need to install my modem/network PRO hardware first.
    I hunted around some more for a previous generation driver, no luck. I then went to Acer website and found 3com Lan driver which also does not work.

Lastly I tried a different chipset driver and that didn't turn up any Ethernet compatible INFs either.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with this chipset?

2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Have you made sure it's definitely enabled in the bios? other than that I'd try another clean Windows install and if you get the same problem then it's likely the onboard LAN has bit the dust, you will have to buy a cheap $10 PCI Ethernet card

newconroer says thanks.
  3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    New install didn't turn up anything - may try Windows 7 to see if it has the driver already bundled.

EDIT: I also have a copy of the original Windows folder from the previous installation. I tried hunting through there to find the .inf and driver installation files for the original Ethernet though had no luck. Are you familiar with where Windows stores this device information?

4. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt it work just by selecting the *.inf from Update Driver in Device Manager? For a lot of prebuilt PCs from that era i have installed XP that was the method for the LAN driver and not installing it by the setup program. Its usually the inf in th 2kxp 32 bit folder thats needed.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It could be possible that the ethernet chipset on the board has fried. Honestly, I'd just cut my losses and buy a cheap PCI card and throw it in.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. maksic87

maksic87

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

Usually u can find your drivers in this folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore and keep digging around it in folder drivers in system32 folder. U have a specific version of the motherboard with a specific chip for lan, btw i hated intel network cards because of the driver support.

Good luck in your hunt.

newconroer says thanks.
  7. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Started with that, found nothing.

Yes, quite possibly - though wonder whether or not that would have caused Windows to corrupt itself forcing my hand at reinstalling.

Thank you

Know that my device manager finds an Ethernet controller with an exclamation mark. I am not sure if it was fried whether that hardware would be found.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    wont it be easier to buy a new ehternet card?