1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

intel processor overheating

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by morningtwlight, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    You'll want to remove and reapply it. As Fourstaff has been saying you need to change it :toast:

2. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Every time you take the heatsink out, you will have to reapply TIM properly because once the heatsink is removed, the molecular contact is lost and the thing is no more effective like it would have been if properly used. ;)

3. morningtwlight New Member

Thanks Received:
    throttle stop and sensors view pro says my laptop temperatures,90c maximum. This temperature 90c was after 20minutes of gameplay need for speed hotpursuit 2010 and laptop is set to high performance profile, turbo boost all time. i can use comfortably laptop on my lap. the hwinfo64bit,hwmonitor shows temperature to 99c . may b this is due to softwares here is my screen shot of sensors view pro. what are your views about this??ie the laptop shoud be shutdown at 99c or throttle down its speed and games should drop frames but this didnot happen , 105 tj max

Attached Files:

4. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    You should not use more than one monitoring tool at the same time. They conflict with the SM Bus signal and hence display wrong readings. Download AIDA 64. Go to Computer>Sensors page and check temps. Also open the system stability test from tools. Do not run it. But open the stat page and minimize it. Play games and note the max and min temps.

morningtwlight says thanks.
  5. morningtwlight New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didnot run differnt sensors software at the same time 90c temperature was during 20mints of gameplay, only sensors view pro was runing no any other software, as i run many test so knows the differnece between throttlestop and sensors view pro, and hwinfo 64 an hwmonitor.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Clean off the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste. In a very hot climate like yours, the CPU is going to get hot. New thermal paste may reduce it by a little. Also, like I mentioned a month ago, get a laptop cooler.

7. morningtwlight New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i run aida 64 its shows maximum 94c temperature after 20mints of gameplay. well differnt softwares have differnet results hwinfo and hwinfo64 shows 99c maximum, aida 64 maximum 94c and throttlestop + sensors view pro shows 90c maximum here is idle temperature screenshot of sesors view pro runing on high performance its too low as thorottlestop!!

Attached Files:

8. morningtwlight New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok brother i am already searching arctic silver 5 tim ...

9. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    AIDA reports it right. :) And reapply with good TIM as erocker said. :)

10. morningtwlight New Member

Thanks Received:
    well a long time friends now i cannot use laptop for normal use like web and songs because it heat up too much, on turbo boost playing game it shooted upto 103c , today i applied thermal paste and cleaned laptop results are great in 1 picture i ran ,fur mark test and maximum temperature is 80c for 5 minutes test and in 2nd picture i ran need for speed rivals for 14 minutes and maximum temperatures are 88c core 1 , 82c core 2 thanks alot everyone for helping these results are in turbo boost off specially thanks to erocker for telling about tim replacing every time :) now i can use my laptop on lap

Attached Files:

AsRock and erocker say thanks.
  11. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Best and easiest thing i would do is get one of those Cooler Master laptop coolers that you set the laptop onto, and it has some fans that blow air into the underside of the laptop.

My friend was having heat issues with his laptop when he played Tomb Raider, and it would shut down, then he got a laptop cooler and temps dropped by 10c+

erocker says thanks.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thermltake do some good ones. Large fan helps more.

13. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    Turn off igpu, Underclock cpu, clean cooler from dust, renew thermal paste, buy one of the cooling stands for notebooks, do not open browsers or any apps when cpu-demanding game is running, if some you need - try to set lower priority's for them in regedit; Try another antivirus, if yours is very hungry, i use avira - very good for me. Turn off some windows components you dont need and try some performance optimization tricks that you can find at internet.
    Or get another gaming oriented laptop.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  14. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Turning the iGPU off with Windows already installed on Intel systems, can cause the system not to boot, even if it runs off a discrete gpu.

15. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    there are some presets at nvidia drivers that offer using both igpu and dgpu performance. I used it myself. Anyway we cannot guarantee proper work of igpu when it comes to its states when user is gaming, he can open chrome( wich is rely on igpu) and left it open, in that case igpu would produce heat.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    I am aware, but that's not what im talking about.

Chetkigaming says thanks.
  17. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i see, first he should reinstall windows

18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you dont need to turn off igpu. because igpu does not run when you are gaming or doing graphcis heavy applications, it automatically switches between the two depending on load and helps save battery life.

ithge only thing he can do is get a cooling pad. intel mobiles chips are useless as they are so hot.

19. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I have an Intel i5 3317u...It only gets hot when I am crunching CEP on all 4 logical cores, or when I am sitting on my bed w/ it on my lap...Otherwise this thing is a cool bean. Sitting on a table cloth, crunching 100% and on here...90C. If I chuck the crunching, or even go to 70% that drops dramatically! So, not so hot.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    how else would you define being hot. if it got hot doing nothing then it would mean its a failed chip. a lemon.
    just because its running its full potential doesnt mean its supposed to become hot enough to be unusable. this is the type of mentality that allows companies to run away by providing us with cheap bad designs.
    if something is running hot when in full use, then they should improve the cooling.