1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel recalls Pentium 4 chips

Discussion in 'News' started by DanTheBanjoman, Aug 11, 2005.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Those who recently purchased a P4EE 3.73Ghz with the batchnumber 3502A770 can send it back to Intel for a full refund due to a problem with the heatsink. Apparantly there is nothing wrong with the processor itself. This should only affect about 100 processors, so the odds that you have one are pretty low. It's unclear why they don't just replace the heatsinks.

Source...

2. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    heatsink incapable of handling the CPU = high temps = damaged CPU = cannot replace only the heatsink

GG intel.

3. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    true *G* Retail CPUs must be used with the included heatsink, otherwise you will get problems with the 3yr warranty (is it 3 years?). I am sure those people will be ticked off...first one spends so much money on the CPU, instead of buying that used car you wanted to get you to places *G*...and then you have to return it to Intel. Ouch.

cheers
    Vahid

4. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    How dare Intel. I'm sorry, that's yet another reason I hate Intel. They're pure idiots. Don't complicate processors by giving a "series" instead of a clockspeed. Also, if they lead in clockrates, why make new series of processors with lower clockspeeds? You're not AMD. Also, for that refund, only 100 people, and most people probably bought a better heatsink to solve the problem anyway and still don't know what the problem is, plus most people don't even no about the refund, then why is intel just issuing a full refund? It's not worth it! Give those 100 people your newest processor, or maybe a replacement and a refund. No though, Intel has to cheapskate their way out.

5. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm with you, dude.
    i'm also an AMD man.

been using amd chips since i got a k5. :)

6. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Maybe some ES got mixed in with that batch of EE and they want the chip back ... later for the HSF

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A: If you claim Intel copies AMD with the series/rating you're flaming AMD even more, they stole the idea from cyrix (M1+M2) they even use the same +, how original.
    B: Even though it's only 100 or so CPU's Intel admits the error. Last time thunderbirds burnt due to the lack of thermal protection AMD didn't do a thing about it. Saying "the customer bought a new sink so let's not give any support" would be the AMD way.
    C: They refund what you paid for it, so you can buy a new one yourself. In fact, it costs them more to refund rather than to replace. They're refunding the profit of the retailers, transport etc as well.
    D: Yes I'm an Intel man.

8. thiscloudnow New Member

Thanks Received:
    ouch...i can feel the burn :p

but i like amd though! hoohaa :cool:

9. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, well I can counter your T-bird statement, but the rest I guess....good job on proving me wrong or stating your own opinion. I don't know if you are saying a batch of T-birds had bad thermal protection, but my computer was on for 4 years 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and even the bridge fans stopped spinning, and it used the stock heatsink, it never had 1 error or gave me 1 problem, EVER. And I pushed that system, with the newest games (played CS: Source with an 8500 and that processor), and p2p programs with virusses all day, and whenever the screensaver ran my antivirus scanned the computer. So thermal problems were never a problem with T-birds, at least not the one I had

10. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the most part, dan is right...

T-birds were hyped up to have all kinds of thermal issues, but its usually the people that never had one flaming them for such obscene thermal issues. I had one too, and it ran just fine with the stock heatsink for its lifespan. Yes, it ran really hot, but it didn't have any iddues with that. ;)

11. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my previos CPU was a t-bird, that ran perfectly fine for about 4 years that i've had it, and now its still running perfectly one some other dude's system, to whom i sold it off after i got this new system of mine.

at least i hope it is...
    it was a good cpu... i liked it... :)

12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received: