1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Reinvents Transistors Using New 3-D Structure

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 4, 2011.

1. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    i read somewhere that there is a PHYSIC limit on how much mhz they can get ,,, can't remember exactly but the current can't go any faster then X .... lol no Jugahurtz for you in your lifetime sowy!

2. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    just a friendly fyi - the bolded words should've been 'soar' and 'whole', respectively. :)

3. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yay; this is a puff piece about technologies and how they perform in the lab...

Now that I've given people time to think, consider this:
    1) The PS3 with 9 cores will be the most powerful processor on the market for years to come. -Sony
    2) The speeds I get (at best) on my 10/100/1000 network are probably in the high 800s. Theoretical and practical are two completely different things.
    3) Less losses mean less heat. 3d means less surface area per heat generating volume. Yes heat will decrease, but removing heat from the transistors at the bottom middle of a chip will become much more difficult.
    4) PRESS RELEASE. They are carefully worded and optimistic. While I would like to believe in Unicorns and world peace I know that there is something fishy if the Onion reports on them...
    5) What did Intel really suggest, high overclocking or low energy performance; I would posit that they are pushing more for low energy performance given AMD is actually competing with their APUs.

Negativity aside, I hope this works out. Intel moving this far ahead will force AMD to compete in other ways. I would love to see them give Intel a boot in the head, because AMD found an entirely new way to optimize their processors. The bulldozer is a step towards something unique, and I think Intel's PR might actually push AMD faster. Only time will tell on both sides. It will be an interesting 2012.

mstenholm says thanks.
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Wow; I'd say that you really know about sarcasm, but I would be afraid that you wouldn't get the joke.

The comment was obviously hyperbole, and not an actual request. I say this completely disregarding that juga isn't a prefix and hurtz is not a unit.

Depending upon the semi-conductor, materials will start to breakdown at extremely high frequencies. Transistor breakdown limits overclocking, but there is research into pushing that limit higher. Realistically, the limiting factor in your PC is heat induced by leakage. High heating promotes thermal breakdown, which also destroys transistors. You should, theoretically, be able to push a processor that runs cooler to higher frequencies. If you've done even cursory reasearch into over clocking you would find even a layman understands this.

Physics does not determine this. Material properties determine this. If you want to use the caps lock have a good reason. You will find that older processors (think Pentium 4) do not over clock well. This is because they have higher leakages-> higher heat-> transistor breakdown. The same material was used on early core 2 processors (switching to hi-k later on), but they overclocked better because of structural differences and less leakage.

5. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    i only wonder what changes will this bring to overclocking...

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya, but it is a step in the right direction. Lots of folks have been working on designs like this for some years now and from my understanding Intel is simply first with it in mass production. I'm confident it will be a bit of a game changer, but how much is still unsure.

7. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    How about the first available 1Ghz desktop processor and the first available desktop 64 bit processor?

Those two just out of my head now, but I'm sure there's more innovative ideas to be mentioned, I'm an Intel user but you have to give credit where it's due :)

Now this is truly revolutionary, Ivy Bridge will be compatible with P67 boards so looks like another hit yet for Intel.

Now if only they can produce the 3D water cooled processor IBM was just developing a few years ago it would be awesome!

Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys better hope AMD destroys Sandy if you ever dream of affording this thing.

AsRock, mstenholm and digibucc say thanks.
  9. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure this technology will trickle down to all Intel next gen CPUs, I mean, 22nm is the next node all their processors will be fabed at, so I expect this process to be used on everything from entry level to high performance CPUs.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I have to keep my mouth shut :banghead:

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Again not if AMD is running on old tech. Intel will reign supreme and we will pay for it.

12. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    AMD is no match for the R&D department at Intel. AMD unfortunately will always be two steps behind.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Not likely . Intel will keep costs low as to keep you from going with the cheaper line of the comp . It is not like they will cut there heads off despite there face . I do not see this as bad I do see this as moving forward in a positive way . If AMD fails to keep up what is Intel to do ? Stop making new and improved things while AMD tries to keep up ? You did not see this when AMD was killing Intel during the P4 days .
    But hey I have to keep my mouth SHUT . :banghead:

Funny AMD bought out ATI and have a real lead in the video department maybe they need to reallocate some of them funds to the R&D of there CPU's ???

14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Um no. If these 3-D Structure transistors are half as fast as Intel claims them to be then AMD will not be able to keep up. Not even remotely. They will try and drop the prices to stay competitive but the performance will be night and day. Intel will price accordingly. You WILL have $1000+ cpus from Intel and AMD will fade into the GPU market.

16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL I doubt that there is no one on this planet that could afford them especially at this day and age with the economy in the toilet as it is LOL . They would have a lot of CPU's sitting on shelves and no one buying them up .

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well its not like they didn't do it before when they had the monopoly. The market will demand it. You act as if this hasn't happen before. Competition is good.

Anyway check this out...

18. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Sure this looks bad for AMD, but all I see it as is Intel trying to get more out of x86 like they always have. Personally until we get that new substance which allows 30+Ghz speeds (I know there was an article I read on here about it), the real advances should be in getting GPU tech to run more processes. We've been doing it in the scientific area. Heck NV made special servers to do it.

The point is, AMD has been advancing towards APU. While Intel's x86 tech is great, they cannot match AMD on the graphics core front. Until AMD reveals what is coming, post Bulldozer, can't declare the race finished. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD leverages it's GPU tech more and more to make up the difference.

19. trickson

Thanks Received:
    But they still do it . So what is the difference now ? I see Intel selling 1 thousand Dollar + CPU's Now . So is AMD . What they will make them so expensive that NO ONE can buy them but the rich ? I do not think so .

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD's top desktop CPU when I bought it this current gen. was 299 bucks. Thats a 1090T. I think your confused about CPU history or even how economics work.....and no. Intel doesn't have anywhere close to the monopoly of the Pentium days.

21. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I don't think Intel would be so stupid, the PC market is shrinking already, what you suggest here is akin to Intel giving the coup de grace to their main source of revenue.

Yes, there was a time when CPUs were very expensive, but as stated before, these are other times, if Intel releases $1,000 only CPUs based on these process, someone else will rise to fill the gap, be it AMD or ARM (Win 8 already runs on ARM) so, no, I just don't see this doomsday scenario playing out.

trickson says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. trickson

Thanks Received:
    And every one starts to quickly demonize Intel while they :cry: for AMD . Who cares ? this is HOT new TECH ! I am excited for Intel and can hardly wait to see them in action ! Stop :cry: about this and get excited . Man they are telling us more than AMD . :nutkick:

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Who's demonizing? I'm being realistic and not a blind lil fanboy. I just don't wanna see any tears when Intel is a monopoly again and you can't afford their top tier CPU's. Because their will be weeping and gnashing of the teeth. And oh I will laugh. I mean you have to be an idiot to think Intel will keep the same current price point if they have no competition.

CAT-THE-FIFTH says thanks.
  24. CAT-THE-FIFTH New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I find funny is that in the first posts in this thread were making digs at AMD rather than actually talking about this interesting new technology.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  25. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well then you better prey that AMD steps up the program . As it is they are doing really well in the core area just not as good in the other areas . The strong will prosper the weak will fade away into nothingness . It is a fact of life get over it . If they do sell them at a price no one can afford then they will be shooting themselves in the foot . This is not doomsday here just some great new tech to be given to the consumer . I love this it is just great !