1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Responds to Phenom II X2 BE with Pentium E6500K

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Aug 7, 2009.

1. $ReaPeR$

$ReaPeR$

Thanks Received:
    i cannot find a point in buying this proc ( even though it seems pretty good ) if you already have a C2D, i would like a 1366 soc proc at 150€ i would consider that a true feat from intel and i would definitely buy that, but i think that ill never see that :(

2. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    None the less, this proc is more of a gimmic than anything, since its a limited production.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think the E6XXX number makes sence, considering how close in specs they are. I mean both E6300 processors were 1066FSB and 2MB L2 cache, the only difference is 45nm vs. 65nm and the new E6300 has a higher clock speed.

I do see what you are saying though, how many people are going to look to see if their board supports the new E6300, and see support for the old E6300 and think it means the new E6300? Personally, I would have preferred if they used slightly different numbers, even if they were still E6XXX series, but call the new E6300 the E6350 or something instead to avoid confusion with compatibility.

True, but while no one can guarantee the E6500K will overclock great, it is a lot more likely than an unlock on a 550BE.

I think going AM2/3 would be a better option for someone looking to continue to upgrade down the road. But I also wouldn't have a problem building a 775 system today for someone that isn't likely to upgrade any time soon.

I do...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Not a great idea to OC on the lame new C2D coolers.

5. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    me wants....

6. Dahaka

Dahaka New Member

Thanks Received:
    Clock per clock who is better?.

For me, this kind of proccesor is only for overclocking purposes :laugh::laugh:

7. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where says this?

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I didn't say I was performing massive overclocks. But the stock coolers are good for an extra few hundred MHz.

I've currently got an E1400@3.0GHz from 2.0GHz on the stock cooler, and a Pentium D 805@3.33GHz from 2.66GHz on the stock cooler. Both never go above 65°C under full folding load. Of course part of the trick is to make sure to force the fan speed to 100%...I didn't say they were the quietest machines...:laugh:

Basically, I'll overclock everything I possible can, stock cooler or not. As long as you keep an eye on temps, there is no reason you can't overclock at least a little with the stock cooler, and anything that adds PPD helps.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Score for Intel, bout time too. They should show moar results ehen its OC, got a friends that needs a media PC.

10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Good point, but looking at the Core2 track record, I really doubt in the main scheme of things it'll be a crap clocker and being based on Wolfdale, I've yet to work with one that couldn't hit at least 3.8Ghz with very little effort (though I have only used e8400/8500/8600 from the Wolfdale series). I might have to pick one of these up in the future! It comes down to what someone wants, it's cool that AMD and Intel offer such chips, I've played with both sides also, but at the end of the day after Core2, Intel kept me hooked, for this overclocker it's been a damn fun ride.

Good job for intel finally realizing there's competition in this market for such chips with such features, something AMD has done for a while. Good stuff. But Zubasa, you only need a cheap P35/P45 to OC quite well, heck I'm impressed with what a $50 GB P35-DS3L is capable of. It was used though! This chip gives end-users yet another option in the plethora of them already out there, but it definately will be a bang for the buck chip, I could be wrong, but with my experience with the Core2-based series, this chip will be a big success with overclockers and I bet seeing some 4.5-5GHz results is totally realistic with the right cooling (read: expensive and exotic), and 3.5-4Ghz realistic on good air cooling. That's my bet, and if that happens, for 90 bucks, it'll be a true hit.

:toast:

11. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Right in front of the box in bold Chinese words :p
    限量版 = limited edition

12. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Indeed the Wolfdales overall clocks very well, but you have to remeber this is a Pentium Dual Core and they usually don't clock as well as the E8XXXs. Anyways the PIIs clock decent as well its not like they can't reach 3.8 either just with more effort and luck.

Grab one while you can, because this looks like an Intel showoff more by making this a limited edition.
    This is the reason I am wary about this new wolfie.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    wolfdale 2M? 1/3 the cache with an unlocked multi...

sure it'll reach high clocks, but its performance wont be that great.

14. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    wow is darren just banned from this thread or? he's been a member for a while lol. I agree that what fit says is kinda undeniable. I definitely think that this chip will be able to reach 3.8ghz on air. Intel even stated that this will be very oc friendly which i've never heard them state before, so you can bet it will oc good. The fact that its a wolfdale chip also helps it and that its 45nm. idk we shall see

15. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too high hopes people have on this chip. None of the lower end Wolfdales are multiplier limited to begin with. Unless higher multi does miracles on the voltage need vs. higher FSB these won't overclock any better on air.

E7200 has x9.5 E6300 has x10.5 E5200 has x12.5 and rest of the series more. All will do 4GHz with just about any motherboard. They are just not usable at that speed, at least my E7200 got plenty hot and was still under 1.4V. Half the power components and IHS not soldered doesn't help compared to E8x00.

Would I get E5x00 or E7x00 now that this is coming, probably not. Will be a fun thing to play around, but I don't expect these to OC much more than E6300 already does. (yes I'll be reading the review when one is available and don't mind being totally wrong)

If they would make Q9400K for example, then I'd be more excited :p

16. chinese_farmer New Member

Thanks Received:
    the chinese words on the box "限量版" (in the first pic) mean that this CPU will only be produced in limited quantity, just thought you'd all like to know. :toast:

Edit:
    oops someone got there before me.

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    indeed, and thats why fitsies is trusted around here.

Thing is fitsy-kins, once you write it and someone reads it - it becomes 2nd hand already :(

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  18. EarlZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice, this is a great upgrade from a stock E2160!

19. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I really hope we see more of this from Intel (and AMD for that matter) in years to come :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    LMFAO!!!

Yup people who are cocky tend to be blind :cool:

21. DJEscreet New Member

Thanks Received:
    Phwwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............drools!!!!

pass me a towel..

:D

22. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Impressive but I have to agree in that I would love to have seen this, if not in the 1366 platform, the 1156 platform coming up for i3/i5 chips. Id snag this up to have my second ever intel chip and try out the unlocked features of it.

23. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am SO grabbing this for my old system >=D

24. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel offering unlocked multi for under $1000, did hell just freeze over?

Scrizz says thanks.
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    dunno, but its Fing cold here.