1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel rumored to drop prices by 61%

Discussion in 'News' started by boruvka, Jun 10, 2006.

1. boruvka

boruvka New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to the German newspaper "Die Welt", Intel is about to start a price offensive and lower the prices for its PC processors by up to 61%, although dual-core processor prices will only drop by 15%.

The newspaper quotes as sources the taiwanese mainboard manufacturers Micro-Star International (MSI) and Gigabyte.

The reason for this is said to be that Intel wants to sell out the old Pentium CPUs and would give up the attempts of outdoing its market contender Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) through technological superiority.

This sounds strange - all of the last 3 years at least AMD had the better processors, now that Conroe is about to be released and Intel could finally regain the performance crown, a change of strategy to outdo AMd in prices only?
    I rather suspect Intel just to clear supply holds of old uncompetitive products they would not be able to sell anyway as soon as both Intel and AMD have better products in stock!

The newspaper article also states that AMD will follow suit in lowering prices, but not to the same extent.

Source: Die Welt
  2. warup89

Thanks Received:
    wow 61 is more than half, but what kind of cpus , the P4s 3.4 ghz?
  3. RickyG512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not as good an original price drop, the pentium D 805 dual core was said to drop to $90. and now its only beeing dropped by %15
  4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that is good news. AMD look out! Intel will soon have better performance and prices at this rate.
  5. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    AMD is in trouble
  6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I really hope the Pentium D 805 drops to the recently said price of $93, and hopefulle newegg makes it lower.
  7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Quite possibly so (AMD in trouble)... check it:

I'm inclined to agree, because counting Intel out of ANY game is "bad business"... but, AMD does have some KILLER stuff & is taking the market from Intel as of late too!

Intel Core 2 Duo Performance Update

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=1&articleid=832&cid=1

& not just on the price front, but the performance front as well... but, in the end? It seems that NOW is the time to buy, if you intend to get newer/faster systems!

Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual-Core Socket AM2 Review

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/340

Some "light-reading" for you hardware nuts in those 2 urls, which showcase the "latest/greatest" from Intel & AMD...

(Interesting reads imo - the whole DDR2 thing w/ AMD not showing gains, & possibly losses due to memory latencies, it's just temporary imo... it's new, & once the "bugs" & such get shaken out & newer/faster memory subsystems & CPU's come out, it's bennies will probably get realized, but today's NOT that day, not yet imo! We've all seen this before though... takes time for new hardware types to really "take effect" & show gains)

Still, anything less than 20% diff. imo @ least (per any particular SINGLE part that is), is TOTALLY negligible & you won't note it... which is the MOST important part.

However, team up a bunch of components with 5%-15% improvement per each?

Well, that's another story imo!

Remember - it's a system, synergy between MANY parts, & if each subsystem (e.g.- CPU, video, disks, & yes memory) gain a bit? The WHOLE SYSTEM gains overall.

Overall? Today's systems just rock, from CPU & Video especially nowadays, SO fast!

(& even HDD's imo due to Raptor's 10k rpm speeds & 16mb buffers onboard)

It's a GOOD time to buy imo!

APK

P.S.=> (I am not a "fanboy" of either CPU family, I use both here in 2 diff. rigs in fact - they both work, & both are great performers (P4 3.2ghz 2nd rig, signature has my AMD one))... apk
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  8. tofu

tofu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pentium D805!!! A gift from Intel to thrifty people like me.

And look what these guys did to it: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/
  9. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read the actual article, and it said that "Intel is dropping prices by 15% on faster dual-cores". The Pentium D 805 isn't the "faster dual-cores", so maybe, it'll still go down to the original said price of $93....maybe....hopefully.
  10. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Intel wont even confirm this, This sounds funny to me . . . a bit too odd for my taste. Alec thanks for the link to those reviews.
  11. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    You're welcome!

I find they are always interesting, so I thought you all might as well...

(Something to pass the time & "sharpen the saw" with, seeing what the thoughts of others via tests are about the latest/greatest out there).

APK