1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel ships first quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6700

Discussion in 'News' started by Darksaber, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel has begun shipping its first quad-core processor "Kentsfield" to system builders for system testing. They will be available in very limited quantities by mid November and are not (yet) bound to show a large performance jump in games, but should give you your moneys worth in multimedia applications. Kentsfield will ship with 8 MB of L2 cache and a clock speed of 2.67 GHz to keep the processor within a 110 watt power envelope - up from 65 watts of the dual-core Core 2 Duo E6700 with the identical clock speed.

Source: TG Daily
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Whos buying me one for X-MASS?
  3. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    phooey.
    My uncle works for a computer complny called Klafters and says the system /w theprocessor most identical to mine (mine - 2.8ghz socket 478, system - 3.0ghz socket 478) performs better than thier dual-core 3.0ghz systems.
  4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you really think you can beat a Quad-Core? OK!:laugh: :nutkick:
  5. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    By these CPU's coming out will they drop their prices on the Conroe's? Probably not I am guessing...
  6. HaZe303

HaZe303 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im waiting for the cheaper QE6600 with 4x2.4ghz cores, coming next year instead. It will be cheaper and more valueble, atleast for me.
  7. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never said that.:wtf:
  8. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you said "Phooey"...and then you said that your comp is better than 3.0Ghz Dual-Cores.
  9. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    tdp of 110 over 65 from the conroe...hmm i wonder if the second cpu die has anything to do with it..:rolleyes:
  10. Exceededgoku

Thanks Received:
    its well annoying how intel just glues to dies together... it's just no where near as good as the way AMD does it or indeed the Conroes/allendales do it. I think I'll hold out until K8L in which I will most likely switch bcak to AMD if what people are saying has any truth to it :)
  11. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    i dunno, what have people been saying about the amd k8l? according to the few articles i read on it a lot of people dont expect it to best the kentsfield.
  12. Track

Track New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is any game going to take advantage of 4 cores?

I dont think so, cause thats not fair to all the high-end users with a 1000$ Conroe. Alan Wake is rumoured to, but i dont know.

And we dont really need them for physics either with the X1k series doing it so much better then a CPU could.
  13. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since when is life fair? What a silly statement.
  14. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Currently & DIRECTLY? No... Quake 4 SMP spawns 2 threads w/ r_useSMP = 1 enabled in its configuration file... so, @ most? It DIRECTLY uses 2 cores @ most.

BUT, indirectly, GAMES & OTHER PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY @ THE TIME might get some 'boost' out of more than 2 CPU cores present, because other running processes threads can be run on other CPU's present & LESS SATURATED than the one a game is running on, lessening the load on the CPU the game is being run on!

(ESPECIALLY IF other running programs on your system bear 2-N threads that is, & MOST of what you run does nowadays! Taskmgr.exe can bear this out for you in its PROCESSES tab, & using the VIEW menu, SELECT COLUMNS submenu item, & being sure "THREADS" is checked off as a visible column)...

However, even IF other running processes are single-threaded only (the minority nowadays)? They can be run/started up on on less saturated CPU's, other CPU's where the game (or its threads) are NOT running...

* The OS kernel subsystem PROCESS SCHEDULER component should, in theory, send other running processes threads to the LEAST USED/SATURATED CPU present of 2-N cpu's, &/or a game's threads to another less saturated CPU on the game startup...

:)

(Thus, giving a game you are playing MORE cycles on the CPU it is running on, by sending other running process' threads to other CPU's present that are less saturated).

APK
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006