1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Shows a New Jet Engine Style Notebook Cooling Technology

Discussion in 'News' started by alexp999, Oct 24, 2008.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    What with the likes of the Apple MacBook Air and similar ultrathin laptops in production, Intel is recognising that there will be an increasing problem with heat, especially with its new chips around the corner. Mooly Eden, general manager of Intel's Mobile Platforms Group was speaking at a keynote at the Intel Developer Forum in Taipei.
    Eden went on to say that if this problem is not addressed there will be a limit as to how thin a laptop can me made. They used the example of a jet engine explaining that the high temperatures inside the engine (up to 1000 degrees centigrade) must not be transfered to the plane's wing, as that is where the fuel is stored. The technology used on aircraft to accomplish this is called laminar airflow cooling, which is what Intel plans license to manufacturers for use in cooling its products, it is a system in which a fluid flows in layers.
    Fortunately this is not the only trick up Intel's sleeve, Eden also explained that laptop platform for Intel's Nehalem architecture will have the memory controller, IGP and CPU all on one die and that the native power saving features will allow processor cores to turn on and off without the use of software.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: CNET

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Turning cores off can't be transparent to the OS. One minute it will see 4 cores, then next thing it knows, there's only 1 core. Unless, of course, they figured out a way to get multiple cores to act as one large single core. Now THAT would be awesome.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure exactly how the operating system detects it (BIOS, processor itself, or code in the OS) but, I'm sure it's not that hard to fool them. I don't get what this "laminar flow" thing is though. :S

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that makes sense in aircraft but I don't see how it could cool a processor better. The "laminar layer" acts as an insulator to the "laminar flow." When you're trying to draw heat away, a "laminar layer" is the last thing you want.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, this is interesting. I've been pondering upgrading my lappy's processor when I get some extra cash. Im not quite sure though, as the rest of the lappys system is pretty insync.

I think intel makes a 2.8ghz P series duo which is a little more then half a ghz more then mine. Only thing I've been pondering about is the video card being the limitation and or heat. My current chip has gotten as hot as 47c during CSS or COD4. Thats not hot but im not sure for a laptop. I think Im really off topic and am going to stop typing.

7. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    47C is not hot for a laptop. I'd raise an eyebrow at 55C, but I wouldn't get worried until it reached 60C.

8. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    so where are the turbines?

i like the little blue "air streaks" in the first pic, blue signifies cold, this must be good..... cold air in--nice concept guys.:laugh:

9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, but I want to see more details as it develops.

10. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, but I want something to extend the battery life of a laptop during gaming sessions. My old Hp laptop is burning my leg off.

11. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Most heat transfer occurs in the boundry layer, AKA laminar flow area. However the idea here is not so much heat transfer but keeping your legs from cooking by using two layers of boundary flow, one cool to keep the skin of the laptop cool , and one hot to transfer the heat away.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    That would be great if it works as heat is the one major thing that holds lappys back.

13. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Why not just carry around a tank of liquid nitrogen like i do ...

14. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Lol now that would be cool lappy in one hand liquid nitrogen in the other.

15. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Would be good for the summer :p ice cream anyone ?

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    60C isn't uncommon for a lappy either. It's perfectly fine at those temps, tho lower is always better of course.