• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Steps into Alleged Counterfeit Core i7 920 Sale Issue

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
LMAO @ those fakes. They arent even good ones :) I would expect a full refund or replacement and a little extra for my time being wasted ;)

What if some n00b actually stuck that, what looks like a piece of lead, onto his motherboard LMFAO

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
yeah I think newegg is handling the situation well, but the demo boxes lie (whther or not it originated form newegg) will cost them. I work in online education and yes customers can get peeved by an outage but they are actually very understanding "these things happen" they tell me. That is until they are lied to. Once the lie is there whether or not intentional they become irate lose trust and begin looking at doing business elswhere. Wehther or not I was told by programmign that the outage would only last another hour I never tell the customers that. Why? because if they're wrong and it lasts 2 I've violated the trust of the customers and lied to them. I'm only pasisng on what I've been told but all the same I've lied to the customers.

this is where the big issue is. Newegg should never have passed on that little nugget. The email should simply have read "We are still investigating the problem with the I7 920 cpu's for batch/shipment number XYZ. While we continue to investigate we are offering refunds or replacemnts for anyone who recieved and I7 920 for that batch/shipment number."

This avoids blaming the wrong person or telling the customers incorrect information. That way when Intel sends out an announcement, newegg doesn't look like a jack ass.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
LMAO @ those fakes. They arent even good ones :) I would expect a full refund or replacement and a little extra for my time being wasted ;)

What if some n00b actually stuck that, what looks like a piece of lead, onto his motherboard LMFAO

Read the thread, they are overnighting replacements to all the customers.

And anyone that would fall for this shouldn't be installing their own processor, as said before.

yeah I think newegg is handling the situation well, but the demo boxes lie (whther or not it originated form newegg) will cost them. I work in online education and yes customers can get peeved by an outage but they are actually very understanding "these things happen" they tell me. That is until they are lied to. Once the lie is there whether or not intentional they become irate lose trust and begin looking at doing business elswhere. Wehther or not I was told by programmign that the outage would only last another hour I never tell the customers that. Why? because if they're wrong and it lasts 2 I've violated the trust of the customers and lied to them. I'm only pasisng on what I've been told but all the same I've lied to the customers.

this is where the big issue is. Newegg should never have passed on that little nugget. The email should simply have read "We are still investigating the problem with the I7 920 cpu's for batch/shipment number XYZ. While we continue to investigate we are offering refunds or replacemnts for anyone who recieved and I7 920 for that batch/shipment number."

This avoids blaming the wrong person or telling the customers incorrect information. That way when Intel sends out an announcement, newegg doesn't look like a jack ass.

I find that customers in general a pretty understanding, until lied to. However, they only tend to get peeved when the lie is something like "it will get to you tomorrow, and then it doesn't come for a week". When something like the newegg situation happens, they are pretty happy to believe anything they are told as long as they get what they paid for quickly.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
If you were selling a product counterfeits of which would have cropped up, you would respond as well. This isn't about the theft.

Thats not even a counterfeit,Its a lame theft. It would be something worth mentioning in press if they would actually sell working CPU's with fake labels etc. not a pig in a poke. All Im wondering is why would a company as large as that even bother to react to a problem on such a tiny scale.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Thats not even a counterfeit,Its a lame theft. It would be something worth mentioning in press if they would actually sell working CPU's with fake labels etc. not a pig in a poke. All Im wondering is why would a company as large as that even bother to react to a problem on such a tiny scale.

Because news travels fast in a country that has more online than anywhere else in the world. ;)