1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel stock cooler fan issue [solved]

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just assembled a new pc for work. Before I installed the cooler I tested the fan with my fingers and noticed that it was so very close to the heatsink that it slightly brushed against it.

I don't have much experience with stock coolers so I installed it nonetheless.

The fan works, but it makes a 'zrrrr' noise. The noise is faint(ish) but annoying.

Is there a simple way I can correct this inconvenience or should I just take the cooler back and have it replaced?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    maybe it is hitting fan cable? that is quite common.you can also adjust a wee bit how it sits on heatsink, if those don't work, RMA should be easy.

3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure it isn't hitting anything. Before I installed it I noticed it's sitting so low that turning it with my fingers scraped the heatsink.

Any idea on how to do that? It only needs a wee bit of adjustment.

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes you can push one side a bit lower than the others. It does vary from fan to fan though, even all the 3770K fans I have here vary a bit, whether by power or clip style.

If you look at how the fan clips are, some have the heatsink retention on the clips themselves. Others, have another quad of clips, and others, just two clips, and two braces. Either way, you can pull out the heatsink, and give it a 90-degree turn. Neither the heatsinks or fans are 1000% exact, sometimes this can fix that.

Also, check and make sure all clips are firmly seated.

I've only seen this maybe more than once or twice, though, and my local store always has extra heatsinks from their pre-builds.

It could be hitting the side of the fan bracket, too, if the heatsink isn't seated properly in the clips.

Black Panther says thanks.
  5. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I can't believe it, it was one of those thin wires which go round the cooler! The black one to be precise, was touching ever so slightly the blades!

cadaveca says thanks.